Sihanoukville aka Kompong Som


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
June 27th 2009
Published: June 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Friday is our last day in Phnom Penh. My cousins decided to have cereal for breakfast so Jeff and I were on our own. We crossed the street to the cafe and ordered 2 bowls of beef stew with bread. Guess what the total for our breakfast was... $15000 riel... which is about $4.75. That includes coffee! I can't believe how cheap it has been here =)

We packed all of our things and went to the Toul Sleng Genocide Museum. Eveyone got in for free except Jeff. This is actually an old elementary school that the Pol Pot used to torture and imprison people. The buildings were 3 stories tall, and there were some left over bones of victims that were found there. Each of the victim's rooms had paintings and pictures of what they found there and the condition they were in when they were found. Some were beaten with a shovel, some were hung, some were decapitated. It was very sad to think of these innocent people that died that way. One of the most touching things about this exhibit was that one of the survivors of the detention center did some paintings of what he witnessed while he was there. There were so many pictures of how the people were tortured. It was very moving. There are pictures of every person that died there including women and very young children.

After our visit at the museum, we headed out to Kompong Som. On our way there, we stopped in Kompong Speu to visit my dad's older brother. It was nice because he looks just like my father! The drive there is so beautiful that I have a book to read but I couldn't take my eyes off the gorgeous scenery.

Kompong Som has been awesome so far! We are staying at a beach front hotel for $20/night. The beach is our front yard. We relaxed on the beach for dinner. While we were waiting, Jeff got a massage on the beach for $4/ hour (negotiated down from $5/ hour.) We also bought fireworks from a kid for $1 and eveyone had fun with that. Dinner was pretty good.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb