Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
March 26th 2008
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we arrived in Cambodia on sunday, after a bit of a stressful journey having to cross the border. We went to Pnom Penh first, the capital. I was expecting a really run-down city that is really crammed, but infact its really modern and actually quite chilled out, which was a nice change after Bangkok. On the bus we met some people, so headed to a guesthouse with them by the lakeside. it was so cheap, $3 a night between the two of us. It was a bit grotty, but worth not spending so much!! It was an absolute maze trying to find our room though. That evening we walked for ages and went and got some dinner, then bumped into a guy that someone knew. So we all got in a tuk-tuk (my first!) and headed on to the bars. On Monday we got up really early to go to do some sight-seeing. We went to S21 museum, which was used as the base for Pol Pot regime to torture the Cambodian people. It was really awful actually being in the building where such horrendous things had happened. What really shocked me was that it was right in the middle of the city, with houses on every side, and also the fact that it only happened 30 years ago. its strange how many people in cambodia today, were around when it all happened. We then visited the Killing fields, which the people were taken to to be killed. That was also really depressing. But it was worth going, as I didn't know anything about this regime before.
Me and Daniela are travelling with 3 other people and we are all in Sihanoukville now, on the coast. its so nice here, really chilled out and beaches are lush! All along the beach are these really cool laid-back restaurants which have loads of comfy chairs and lounger on the beach. Today I got a pedicure and manicure on the beach, its so cheap! There are so many children around who come and sit with you and talk to you and try and sell things. I ended up buying quite a few bracelets and anklets because they insisted on making them for me! They are all really sweet and say funny english things like "lovely jubbly" and always want to know how old we are etc. Last night we went out for dinner on the beach, I mean right on the beach we were actually next to the sea! We had a bbq, which was nice and then went to on to another bar and had a really good night. I wish we were staying longer here as I abolutely love it, Cambodia is amazing! But tomorrow we are leaving early to go to Siem Reap, not looking forward to the bus journey though.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb