"No pain. No game."


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
June 22nd 2007
Published: June 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

***Rachel says...***

The quotation in the title was said by some girls that Rebekah and I talked to on the beach. They were refering to the procedure that Reebs and I dubbed "stringing." Essentially they wanted to shave our legs with a piece of floss. One girl, during her sales pitch told me, "You have long hair on leg. I make you beautiful." They were much more perturbed by our somewhat unshaven legs than we were. (Keep in mind that our showers are shorter here because they are all cold water only!) In the end, Rebekah let them string her legs and eyebrows and I got a manicure and pedicure instead.

The next day (6/23) at the beach Rebekah "got stringed" again, but this time it was by one floating leg of a jellyfish. Even though it was not attached it still left a red mark all the way around her arm. Way to be tough, Reebs. We also "got fished" during that excursion into the water. During our swim we stumbled into a couple schools of fish who made it abundantly clear that we were in their space by jumping out of the water a few inches and swimming into our legs. They were tiny but it was still a shock!

That night we went back for Round 2 at a delicious Indian Restaurant we had been to a couple days before. It was undoubtably the best Indian food I've ever had! Mmm...

After dinner we stopped in a local bar for a beer. We ended up having a fabulous conversation with the bartender about the Cambodian government, the current situation in Southern Thailand, U.S. politics, etc. etc. It was so interesting to hear his perspective on the world and to delve into some deeper issues. This is why I love to travel!!

The next day (6/24) we spent traveling from Sihanoukville back to Phnom Penh and then up to Siem Reap. We bused it for a total of about 10 hours. It was great to get to see the countryside and to relax on the bus. At one place that we stopped for a break, I talked with a little girl who had LIVE tarantula chillin' on her shirt. Yikes! Post-break, the woman sitting behind me revealed that she had bought a tarantula that she planned on bringing home to cook and then eat. I was freaking out a little bit at the thought of that big spider still alive, just on the other side of the seat, but there were no incidents. (Thank God!)

We arrived at the lovely Ivy Guesthouse II in time for a tasty dinner at a local restaurant. Reebs and I shared two bowls of soup - coconut & pumpkin and sweet & sour vegetable. Delicious!

No pain. No game.
Rachel

Advertisement



26th June 2007

hahahah you nuts!
the procedure you experienced is well known in America as well: it's called threading. doesn't rip your skin off...does hurt a lot! miss you girlies glad to read you're having such a good time!! xoxo - g

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb