Hit and Run - Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 26th 2017
Published: July 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hit and Run, six countries, one month, two girls!

We had one month off school for winter break. A whole month to explore Asia. After looking at a lot of different routes and working out the best financially Val and I decided to do Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, The Philippines, Taiwan and Japan. Unfortunately the Irish had friends from home coming for part of the holiday so couldn't join us, they spent two weeks island hoping in Thailand.

The first thing I noticed when getting off the plane in Phnom Pehn was how western it was. We were greeted by a Costa Coffee, a Burger King and a Dairy Queen -not what we were expecting! However, on leaving the airport and that are! We discovered that Phnom Pehn wasn't all like that.

We had read you could either get a taxi or a Tuk-Tuk from the airport so of course we choose the Tuk-Tuk. When we told him the address he seemed worried. He said it wasn't a safe area especially for two western girls. He knew another hotel closer to the city which was much safer. He probably had a deal with the hotel owner but we thought better be safe than sorry. He gave us His number and said to call him if we needed a ride anywhere.

We didn't have long in Cambodia, only two full days, and wanted to make the most of our time in Phnom Penh. On our first day we decided to go for a walk along the Sisowath River towards the Royal Palace. On our way we came across Wat Ounalom. It is the seat of the Cambodia's Mohanikay order and is there for the most important Wat in Phnom Penh. It was established in 1443. The main complex is believed to house an eyebrow hair of Buddha and an inscription of Pali.

We were trying to cross the road to visit the Wat when a Tuk Tuk driver offered to take us around the city and take us to Wat Phnom and Sago Pagoda. We agree and he drove us across the road.

While we were looking around the Wat he got a phone call to say that his wife had gone in to labour so he got a friend to continue our trip. Once we had finished we got in his Tuk -Tuk and went to Wat Phnom, a Buddhist temple which was built in 1372 and stands 27 meters above the ground. The Wat is also the central point of Phnom Penh.

We were then driven to Sago Pagoda. This was further away then we imagined but we got to enjoy seeing a part of the city we wouldn't have done. Sago Pagoda is a grave yard but the tombs there were there were so big and mesmerizing it was like looking at statues. There were monkeys everywhere. in the trees and surrounding areas. They came to say hello and climbed up my dress and sat in our Tuk-Tuk.

We went back to our hotel then to a cafè we had found online. The café, Daughters of Cambodia is a Christianity based charity which offers job opportunities and a new life for women who have been trapped in sex-exploitation and trafficking. It encourages those people to walk free and to start a new life with healing and dignity. We spent quite a while sat there eating and talking.

After we sat on the river wall in front of the Palace when a dead bird fell on my head!

In the morning we decided to go to the market. It was huge and sold everything, fruits, clothes, technolog and jewellery. We walked around the market before walking to the café we had gone to the day before where we had a small lunch before going to the Royal Palace.

The Royal Palace serves as the Royal residence of the King of Cambodia. The full name of the Palace in the Khmer language, the official Cambodian Language, is Preah Barum Reachea Veang Chaktomuk Serei Mongkol. It has been occupied by Cambodian Kings since it was built in 1860. Inside the Palace is the Silver Pagoda whoes official name is Wat Ubosoth Ratanaram (Temple of the Emerald-Crystal Buddha). Inside the Silver Pagoda are the national treasure including gold and jewelled Buddha statues. The two most famous being the small green crystal Buddha and a life-sized gold Maitreya Budda which is decorated with 9584 diamonds the largest weighs 25 carats. The golden Buddha weighs 90kg.

We had already contacted the Tuk Tuk man and arranged for him to pick us up at half five the next morning. We had an early night to be ready for him.

Our time in Phnom Pehn was short but definitely sweet!

If you wish to find out more about the Daughters of Cambodia here is their website - http://www.daughterofcambodia.org


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb