Day 22 - Arrive in Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 10th 2015
Published: August 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 22 - Arriving in Cambodia

We got up easily this morning; have a relaxing night last night paid off!

I slept like a baby, all clean, clean hair and non smelly feet, for a change!

Helen had a bit of a hairstyle meltdown this morning, it's been a while since the last one, so I kept quiet, and beavered in the background, she soon got over it! Off we went, packed and ready to move in again!

We got downstairs in good time, so enjoyed our breakfast in peace before Hoang could descend on us!

We were driven to the fast boat to be transported to The Cambodia border. The trip took about an hour and a half. On the way we completed all necessary paperwork for the visas needed. The guy took all our paperwork and passports for us.

We had to get off to go through customs, it was all very slick, no hassles! In about half an hour, we were back on the boat.

About half an hour further up the river we come to passport control, so everyone gets off the boat again. The guy had our passports and visa applications, so it was very easy to go through the procedures. It took about an hour to get everyone sorted, through the control and back on the boat again. The visa is $30, the gut charges $4 for his bit, well worth it!

We continue up the Mekong to Cambodia. This part of the journey is about four hours. I am so pleased we paid up for the fast boat!

There was about 50 of us on the boat, a few odd ones, as you would expect, families, couples, groups and a line Japanese guy. At various times throughout the trip, I thought he was going to fall overboard! He was so excitable with his photography..... As were a few!

I took a couple of pictures to mark the event if leaving Vietnam, and entering into Cambodia, but the landscape along the banks of the Mekong looked the same all along to me!

We arrived at the docking place; the dock was so busy with yuk yuk drivers trying to get your business. We had already agreed to get off the dockside and get a coffee to give us time to collect our thoughts before going to the hotel.

I got my suitcase on wheels, what a blessing, NOT! The bloody handle fell off as I was going up the steps. Helen was close behind me. A tuk tuk guy picked it up for me, and carried it to the coffee shop that was luckily very close by! Bless him! There is always an angel at my side when I need one!

We got a coffee and sat for about an hour, just chilling after the travel. When we were ready to move on, the same tuk tuk driver was on hand to take us on the five minute journey to our hotel.

We signed in and paid up for the next three nights. The room is very nice, and we also have a roof top pool!

Once sorted out, we set off for our first look around. We found a coffee shop with wifi so that we could plan our sight seeing visits whilst in Phnom Penh.

It seems like a nice cafe, so we decided to stay and eat! The rain came.... With vengeance! We were sat outside, but under cover, so was ok. We stayed There for quite a while! We even had a second round of coffees, just chatting, waiting for the rain to stop.

We made good use of our time, all planning done, mentally anyway!

We went off for a walk to have a look at our surroundings. We are right next to a food market. There is meats, fish, sea food, fruit and vegetables, and it smells!

It's been a good night for me, my first night without my shoulder/arm corset! It does hurt, but still improving every day. I feel that I need to introduce some regular movement now to help me to the next level of recuperation!

It's getting to the end of our first day, a final iced coffee and a double choc muffin from Browns... Hmmmm.... Luxury! Browns is where we had our first coffee when we arrived in Phnom Penh 7 hours ago!! We have already discussed that we are creatures of habit.....And like our comfort zones!

We took a slow walk back to the hotel. We discussed how nice it would be to have a balcony as it is such a pain not being able to have a cigarette! When we got to the reception I asked if we could be moved to a balcony room.... Yes! We got instantly moved to a slightly smaller room.... With an ace balcony. We've even got life music acids the road! Loving it!

The end of yet another interesting day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb