Day 5


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
November 29th 2013
Published: November 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Again an early rise for 6am. After breakfast we were supposed to start the cycle from the hotel. But the traffic is mad. We had seen a fatal accident and another accident the day before and were all quite anxious about trying to navigate our way through the traffic. Luckily they decided to drive us about 14ms through the town to a Buddhist temple site where we picked up our new bikes from the Cambodia team. Once everyone was sorted with their new bikes, we were off. This morning we cycled through beautiful countryside. Very lush, green fields. We cycled 40kms this morning and then stopped for lunch. But before we could have lunch it had been arranged that we were going to look at a temple with amazing views and by that you've probably guessed we had to climb a lot of steps (I think they thought we needed more exercise)! Lunch was brilliant. Then back on the bikes for another 30kms. But after a very short while we found ourselves on a very busy main road and we had to ride on a very narrow section at the edge. It was very windy today and it was tough going. The journey wasn't great as nothing much to see, loads of traffic and fumes and a long road. After a stop at 15kms, we were off again on the same road. But they stopped the ride after 10kms as once again the road ahead was dangerous due to condition of the road and roadworks. So today we cycled a total of 65kms. Not as much as we should have ridden but my very sore bum was very appreciative!

Once back on the coach we stopped at a market where they sold cooked tarantula. As most people who know me, know that I am petrified of spiders so I opted to stay on the coach. Matt went and had a look, not sure if he touched one but he did try a piece of cooked tarantula leg!!!! Not my idea of fine cuisine but hey! I think He's done well in trying new things.

After the tarantula sampling we were headed off in the coach to our next hotel. I can honestly say I have never had a journey quite like it. The main road was full of potholes, considering it was a main highway quite unbelievable. I think some of the road had been lost in a flood but honestly it was an horrendous journey of approx 2 and a half hours.

Finally we have reached our hotel about 8pm. absolutely shattered again today. This is the most basic hotel we have stayed in but it's clean which is the main thing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb