Phnom Penh Day 2


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
November 11th 2011
Published: November 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A nice sleep in today which makes a change then up for breakfast at 9.30, I was disappointed that there was not much left when we got there but there was nice coffee and eggs which we made do with. We then organised a tuk tuk for the morning for $10 to take us around a few places we wanted to go. We started at the killing fields one of the 300 they have found and were the main memorial is. It's difficult to but in words about this place, no one speaks whilst there as a mark of respect and you can still see bit of bone and teeth coming from the ground. They said that thousands were killed there by Pol Pots armies, bullets were to expensive so they used axes and even bamboo. It really brought home the devastation that man can bring on fellow man, near the end the narrator on your headset tells you a horrible truth and this will probably happen again somewhere in world like it has in the past.

Once we had left the very special place after paying our tributes to those killed it was back into the town and off to Wat Phnom a temple that stands on top of a small hill, if I am honest I was not impressed and although it was only a $1 to get in we only stayed there about 30 mins before heading off to the royal palace.

The palace is open in the morning for a few hours and then from 2pm to 5pm, its $6.5 to get in and probably worth that. The buildings in there are stunning to look at but pretty much all look the same and you could not even see the floor of the silver pagado which was the main reason I went! We spent about an hour in there before heading back to the hotel.

After a power hour sleep we went for dinner at Khmer Surin an amazing restaurant with lots of small ponds, the sounds of water and were you sit on the floor to eat! We had a few nice dishes there and a few drinks and still came to just $30 which for the place was really good. Fish Amok was very good their, I had the spicy chicken which nearly blew my mouth off!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb