Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
May 21st 2011
Published: May 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We got the bus over the border on the 7th May, with no real problems. Found a hotel for $5 each! Value for money, the rooms are nice but the area around are pretty shocking.

On the day we arrived we went to the National Museum which was right by our hotel. So boring, nothing in it really worth of mention, ironic given that there were no information besides the artifacts. There was a man outside begging, who had no legs. I guess he was a veteran from the war, which was a bit shocking. We'd seen similar in Ho Chi Minh though, outside the War Museum (with no arms) and outside our hotel on the morning we left. It's horrible but you can't really give them anything. Alot of child beggars also, which is sad.

Went to the Tuol Sleng Genocide museum which wasn't as sad as I thought it'd be. Hard to grasp the true horror of what happened there when there is barely any artifacts there, other than old rusty beds. The masses of photos of the inmates is pretty horrifying though. We went to the Killing Fields, which was similar in that it's diofficult to truly understand how bad it was. The 20 floor monument full of skulls which had been exhumed from the fields is definitely a sobering experience, and it's incredible to look at massive marshes which have yet to be excavated.

Found a bar showing Man Utd and Chelsea in the evening!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb