Hello From Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
September 12th 2009
Published: September 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kristy on BusKristy on BusKristy on Bus

Yup, looks prettier than it really was! 6 hrs on the bus with no place to put our feet and something was leaking from the second level of the bus. Usually the front seat is 1st Class.
Wow, it has been a while since we have written, but staying in a old part of town with no or limited internet. We are in Phnom Pehn and have spent the past five days with the girls at a girls shelter. It has been a tremendous experience that makes you reflect on what you have. The girls are so beautiful and so thankful for all that we do. We were able to get them all new school uniforms and for a great deal. The next night Kristy and I headed to the market and bargained a super price on school bags for all. The girls were thrilled. Yesterday was a fun day and we took 20 girls to the zoo....wow, zoos here are a wee bit different, seems not all animals need cages, Kristy and I included. The girls rarely get an outing so it was a big day for them and us. I think if we could we would bring them all home, they are so sweet.

Okay, the trip here was crazy. Five hours on a ferry in rough seas with half the boat puking all the way. I am proud to say neither Kristy nor I
Little Miss Chatter Box ....lolLittle Miss Chatter Box ....lolLittle Miss Chatter Box ....lol

Monique's new name. hehe Seriously, she is with two of the girls at the orphanage.
were amongst the pukers, I was close, but sat backwards so I couldn't see and hoped the railing so I didn't have to pass them by. Following the harrowing ferry ride, we got to get on a bus for 5 more hours. We were really excited that we scored the front seats, so covered in sea salt and soaked to the bone we clamoured aboard. The great front seats....not so great, seems the front seat is right up against the wall with no where to put your feet but up....sweet. I got up halfway through to use the dirty filthy overflowing toilet and quite forget that there was a step down behind our seats and took the short trip down.....injuring my hip and knee in the process....We finally arrived in PP and I could no longer walk and could only whine...alot. Poor Kristy. After a day of that we got a massage in the room for me in hopes of fixing it....ok, I was fixed, but the bruise she made getting that knot out is tremendous....ouch.

We are staying in a one star hotel that features kareoke....but we never hear any music...and they clean all the rooms at 7
Monique on BusMonique on BusMonique on Bus

Dosnt she look about six and a half feet tall here. I think the bus was made for midget Asians.
in the morning even though no one is staying there. Seems my ever blonde self has missed the bus on what is really going on in our hotel. No kareoke and no overnight stays, just hourly, yeah, I get it now. No one ever knocks on our door though...strange. Although, that being said, we never registered at the hotel, we just asked to see a room and ended up staying. They have no idea who we are.....and no one seems to care.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Kristy's bedKristy's bed
Kristy's bed

Nicely decorated for looks.
Monique's BedMonique's Bed
Monique's Bed

Hey, What gives here!.....Actually she was injured and couldnt walk well. She needed a nice bed for awhile.
One of the girlsOne of the girls
One of the girls

Using a weave machine made from wood.
Rice shoppingRice shopping
Rice shopping

Picked up 8 bags of rice each weighing 18kgs. I month for 20 girls.
Monique and GirlMonique and Girl
Monique and Girl

Your right I dont remember their names.
GirlsGirls
Girls

Girls from Orphanage
Drizzle at MarketDrizzle at Market
Drizzle at Market

It rains everyday here. When it rains we walk through only the little puddles up to our mid calf. You guessed it, in these puddles are fish, garbage, pee and pooh! That way you know why your legs are itchy when you get back to the hotel.
UniformsUniforms
Uniforms

Money raised bought each girl in school two school uniforms for the year. 3 of the girls in the picture are not in school, but recieved one set of casual house clothes to wear.
Attaching Posters to the wallsAttaching Posters to the walls
Attaching Posters to the walls

Girls helping put the posters on the wall.
PostersPosters
Posters

All the walls in the orphange are white without pictures. Monique bought the girls colorful posters for their rooms and some stickers for their windows.


12th September 2009

What a Journey
WOW gilrs, your pictures are amazingm By the way Monique, although Eric has not met you, he has been reading your blog and he loves you! This last install has brought some tears to my eyes,literally. You have done what you set out to do. I am very proud to know you. Enjoy the rest of your journey and both of you be safe.
12th September 2009

miss you
It is saturday and I missed your saturday morning call, and lo I got an e-mail. Thanks it was great to hear from you. Proud of you ladies, Amanda my grandaughter is looking after your home and contents CONRAD and POGO. All is good here. Love MOM
16th September 2009

Monique its kiki's sister sounds like you are having a blast

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb