Nothing like jumping straight into it!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 18th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My first week was originally going to be spent getting to know PP, looking for an apartment, relaxing, etc. Instead, on Day One (Monday 17th) I went with Antonia to visit one of the communities that BABSEA supports on Boeung Kak Lake at the north end of Phnom Penh. I didn't know it at the time, but things happening at the lake would soon be front page news and my boss - the founder and country director at BABSEA - would be quoted almost daily in various newspapers including the front page of the Phnom Penh Post. Basically the 4,000 residents living on and around the lake have started to be evicted from their homes after the Cambodian government (illegally) sold the lake to a wealthy investor to develop the lake into a commerical property. Most of the families haven't been offered any compensation for their land or their homes which will get torn down and destroyed if they don't voluntarily move. I'll spare you all the politics now, but needless to say after meeting many members of the community that day and knowing what the next few months have in store for them -- it's not pleasant. I'll be at the lake every Monday afternoon to help run a women's group, so I'm sure things are going to get interesting.

On Day Two (Tues 18th) I went with another BABSEA advisor (Michael from the UK) to Tiny Toones - one of our partner organisations that provides a safe haven for marginalised urban youths. They are known for introducing and teaching breakdancing to kids of all ages, but also provide computers training, English and Math classes for about 100 kids that come to the community centre almost every day (they don't have anywhere else to go). One of the Tiny Toones founders (Cobra, an ex-patriated Cambodian American from LA) brought us to a slum on the outskirts of PP where they run an Outreach Program and we joined his English class for 4-6 year olds. The kids are so cute, but we probably did more harm than good that day since they were more interested in watching and playing with the barangs (foreigners in Khmer) than paying attention to their lessons!

On Day Three (Weds 19th) I was feeling a bit energetic and finally found some motivation to go running. Not sure how I managed since a few of us were out drinking the night before until about 2am, but I ran from our office to Olympic Stadium and then had the bright idea to run the stairs a few times. Ignoring all the strange looks and comments I got from the locals - like "you're crazy" and "it's too hot for that" - I preceeded to do lunges and pushups intermittently with sprints on the upper track. I didn't bring any water and nearly passed out from heat exhaustion, but all in all it was a motivating workout. That was until later when I read the Khmer Rouge held high profile executions there in the 70's, yikes!

It wasn't all work those first few days. Antonia introduced me to several friends and we went out just about every night. The food selection here is great and the bars are plentiful - so much for that forced Khmer diet (well not yet anyway)!




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



8th September 2008

Do you need any help with the breakdancing lessons for the tiny toones?
Chichi, Looking good, how adorable do all the kids look? Hope you are settling into your new pad with your flatmate, have a great time and let us know if you are still running in the mornings and if the mossies are still doing their thang! Big hugs, Mr Supps x
11th September 2008

Hi
Hi Christina, Looks like you have adopted a few children, will they all fit in your flat when you get back? Are you teaching them? If so the spelling colour not color!!!!!! Ed
3rd October 2008

work
keep up the good work - Pa

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb