Down to the coast - Kep and Kampot


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kep
August 24th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day Four (Thurs 21st) and I'm already heading down to the coast for a few days. I wasn't too jazzed at the thought of taking the public bus for 5 hours, especially after I learned that the bus drivers all blare karaoke music videos on full blast for the entire journey, but I was pleasantly surprised. Instead of the smelly old rickety bus with uncomfortable seats that I was expecting, we had relatively comfortable assigned seats and AIRCON. And the bus stopped for lunch after 2 hours and we had noodle soup for about 50 cents. Life was good.

Once in Kep Antonia, Vy and I met up with the office staff and then went out to Chamcar Bei village, probably BABSEA's biggest community development project. We visited the school rooms, the vocational training classes and had a few meetings. I also fell in love - with a kitten! One of the BABSEA staff found a litter of kittens in a garbage bin and tried to save them, but only Lucky survived. I wanted to take him home with me (right after getting him de-flea'd and bathed), but realised that until I had a home it probably wasn't a smart idea.

After "work" we met up with Renee and Kendall to have drinks on the water at a chic resort named Knai Bang Chatt and then had dinner at the best little crab shack in Kep with Saran and a few people from the office. AMAZING food! Kendall and I (again) managed to stay up until the wee hours of the morning drinking and chatting to the owner/manager of Verandah - a frenchman who goes by the name of Bebe.

Day Five (Fri 22nd) and armed with 4 kilos of crab and shrimp we were on our way to the beach at Koh Tonsay with Sok, Vy, Saran and her kids. We headed out in clouds and rain, but by the time we crossed the water and reached the beach 30 minutes later it was bright and sunny and VERY hot. Later that afternoon we left Kep and headed over to Kampot and checked into Bodhi Villa - the most chilled out rustic place I can remember staying. Our bungalow was a pontoon with 3 walls situated right on the river. Mosquito threat aside, it was a great place to stay and we had some amazing sunrises to look forward to.




Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



28th September 2008

Sunrise
That is a gorgeous sunrise!!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb