Kampot & Sihanoukville - South Coast


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Bokor Hill Station
June 11th 2008
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kampot
The next day we left for Kampot, which is a sleepy riverside village but is slowly coming alive with tourists. This bus journey was the worst so far, we had the whole of the back seat and we were flying around, two lorry/bus tyres was in the walk way, so when we wanted to get off we had to climb the chairs in front, all good fun. These roads had the biggest pot holes and the roads are red dust roads.

There's a video, once I work out how to add this i will.

Kampot was really nice, most things were in walking distance, we were a frew streets back from the river but at night we would walk to the front for a meal and drinks, most the bars were Western owned, so good choice of food when you need some home comforts. We went for a curry the first night and met a nice couple called Gemma and Tony, we arranged to meet them the next night.

We hired a motorbike for a day and drove to a seaside resort called Kep, which was founded by the french in 1908, the war wasnt kind to
Taxi anyone...Taxi anyone...Taxi anyone...

yes thats 3 just inthe front, the middle one is the driver, they can fit in up to 8 people at once, madness!
this town and nothing much remains of this time. We drove here to find some caves but didnt manage to find anything, so headed back to Kampot to the Rapids, onthe way there we had just missed a horrible accident, envolving a truck and a motorbike with a boy and girl on with no helmets, we stopped as there were people all over the road, it must of just happened, all we could see was a lifeless bloke onthe ground and a girl in the bushes, so i went over (not that we could of done anything for them) and gave them all my tissues i had on me, as this poor blokes head was gushing blood( i wont go into too much detail, it didnt look hopefull).

We got the rapids and they were a slight let down, but anyway cooled off inthe water anyways.

We also went to Bokor Hill Station (known as Preah Monivong National Park) which is 1080m up a long and windy road, you can only access this with a tour, as they are making a new road and a very expensive 5* resort at the top, should be done in 2011. We saw a Catholic Church, Hotel/Casino, Kings Quarters and many homes.

Sihanoukville
We caught a mini bus to Sihanoukville, took around 2hrs. This a beach resort and we found an English owned guesthouse with bungalows. There's not much to do here but relax, drink, eat and sunbath...

Well Stu took full advantage of the drinking apart with Tony (the couple we met in Kampot) it started a midday with the local beer, around 5pm, we left for another bar, then another(4 jugs of beer later) we left for the Snake House, this place was quite cruel, lots of snakes and fish all kept in small tanks, even a crocodile chained up ina small pool, we had another beer and left, by this time is was around 11.30, i left them at the bar as the Tequila was being poured, so for every beer they had a Tequila, of course i am like a mum and didnt sleep at all, it then got to 5.30am and the sun was up and still no sign of Stu, so up I get, out to the beach, across two bars and there they were fast alseep, Tony face down onthe bar floor, snoring
Kampot Kampot Kampot

Lovely old buildings
his head off and Stu head down ona table, i couldnt even wake him, cuts/blood on his arm and trousers and had been biten to death...... i leave him there and 7.30am, he arrived back and went straight to bed. Gemma wakes me around 8.30am and asks if they are back, Stu was but no Tony, we walked to the beach again and there he is fast sleep, again face down inthe sand!

They both came alive (well their eyes were open) around 3.30-4pm and had a few more beers (hair of the dog they say!). Stu is now on his 2nd day of feeling like poo!

We stayed here for four days and really enjoyed it.





Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Blissfull Guesthouse/barBlissfull Guesthouse/bar
Blissfull Guesthouse/bar

This was their garden, the owner was from Manchester and very ... well stoned all the time shall we say..
Stu and his wheelsStu and his wheels
Stu and his wheels

We were on our way to find the rapids....
Kep - Seaside resortKep - Seaside resort
Kep - Seaside resort

We hired a motorbike and drove here, about 25kms, so not too far
Tony and GemmaTony and Gemma
Tony and Gemma

Tuk Tuk on our way tothe Snake House
Bokor Hill StationBokor Hill Station
Bokor Hill Station

Officially known as Preah Monivong National Park, largest protected areas, this was an old french hill station.


Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 58; dbt: 0.2158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb