Boat Trip along the Mekong to Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
June 4th 2008
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chau Doc - VietnamChau Doc - VietnamChau Doc - Vietnam

This is where we left for Cambodia
We arrived in Cambodia on 3rd June by boat along the Mekong Delta/River from Vietnam, this river is busy, the people that live along the sides do everything in and with the river.

Still on the Vietnam side, we stopped to see a small fishing village and saw how they keep their fish (under their floating homes) and when they are the right size they will be exported and its how we buy fish from a supermarket in packets.

A bit further along we stopped to see a minorty village which is slightly inland but all houses are on stilts for when the wet season comes the water will rise, 2007 was their highest, the water came over part of their homes and these houses are pretty high up. You get hassled by the local children selling food or clothes, we felt sorry for the smallest girl and bought some waffles from her, they were quite nice.

The boarder crossing went smoothly, no problems, the whole day took around 12 hours by 2 boats and a bus to the city centre of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

We had one full day here and we did a walking tour from the good old lonely planet book, Stu always seems to change it slightly (I think he gets lost really!) We stopped for a rest from the sun at Wat Phnom, the only hill in the city with a large pagoda on the top, people come here to pray for good luck and sucess in school exams etc... there were lots of small monkeys around the bottom, as soon as i saw them i throw my handbag at Stu to carry(I am such a whimp), some where very brave and would try and grab what ever you had in your hands but most would run away.

We walked a fair bit around the sights but the sun was so hot, so of course we had to stop for a beer, 4 beers later we carried on our walk. But before we left this bar, Stu and I ordered a snack (Tuna Sandwich was the description) this arrived (see picture) and we just looked at eachother and laughed, called the waitress over and asked her what it was and she said "Tuna Sandwich" Stu wasnt having this so told her to take it away as we wont be paying for
Chau Doc - VietnamChau Doc - VietnamChau Doc - Vietnam

Father and Daughter coming back to dry land.
this, there is hardly any Tuna, no salad, no fresh bread etc etc as per the description on the menu, the girl started getting annoyed and stuck her finger in the sandwich to show us where the Tuna was, ha ha good job we wont be eating this now and asked to see the manager but he wasnt arround, it went on and on, in the end we had to pay but didnt eat any of it, i wouldnt even give it to my dog it looked that horrible.





Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Fishing VillageFishing Village
Fishing Village

The fish are underneath the house, onthe decking area outside.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb