Back to Phnom Penh ....


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
June 21st 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in PP for a couple of days before heading off again....

We didnt really like or enjoy PP as much as another other city we have been to so far, the atmosphere is strange, cant put our finger on what it is though, apart from one main reason is every 2 seconds we get asked if we want Cocaine, Weed, You want a smoke Mr, i make good price for you" , which becomes very annoying after a while.

But we made the most of our time here and visited the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek and Tuol Sleng Museum.

History Lesson:
In 1975 Tuol Svay Prey High School was taken over by the Pol Pats Security and turned into a prison known as S21, this soon became the largest centre of detention and torture inthe country, then
between 1975 and 1978, about 17000 men, women and children(including babies) were killed and put into mass graves at the now known site called the Killing Fields.

The museum was really interesting but also shocking, as its so recent and more than likely to still be goingon in other countrys around the world.

Each person that
Memorial at the Killing FieldsMemorial at the Killing FieldsMemorial at the Killing Fields

Inside each side, are clear panels, and inside there are 8000 skulls, which are arrange by sex and age.
came to S21 had their photo taken, also photos were taken, during and after torture, these are shocking to see, not only for the adults but for the children and babies, which were taken from their mother and tortured infront of them. The sells are still there, some with torture equipment and metal beds which they used.

We stayed in PP for a couple of days, then headed to Kratie..........

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb