THE WILD DUSTY ROADS, OF CAMBODIA


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Tonlé Sap
March 15th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We got a 6hr bus to Siem Reap this is a mecca for tourists people vist angkor wat all the time it would have cost us 50 dollers i know it is going to be a new 7th wonder but, we could not justify paying that kind of money when we know we will return some day so instead we asked a tuk tuk driver what else could we see and he brought us to a great place were so many tourists miss the landmine museum its run by a great man called Ai ra as a child he was made lay mines and now he clears them both his parents were killed by Khmer rouge he had to work in the army he does not know his real age he thinks he is 29 ,30 in 1993 the UN came and asked people could they work to clear mines he now solely works for the people of Cambodia he is clearing mines everyday there is an estimated 6 million still in the ground 1 person still dies every 3 hrs.So this is why he has the Museum today to educate people 27,000 vitims of landmines live in Siem Reap province today and it may take up tp 100 years to clear all the mines. Donations are needed we gave 10 dollers that could clear 15 mines!!! over the past few years Aka has helped orphaned kids he has adpoted 20 with his wife he found these kids in the villages were he clears mines they have all lost limbs he has given them school, a home and confidence again they will have a future of university from the help of peoples donations please check out his website or email him akira_cambodia@yahoo.com do a goggle search on Cambodian landmine museum in phnom penh any amount helps. our guides name was poiy he lost half his right arm and his left eye he started to play with the mine on the ground it exploded he was 9yrs old he is now 18 and he works in museum sadly his story is very common in Cambodia. 2 days before paddys we set off back to Bangkok Cambodia and Thailand are WORLDS APART!!!!!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

THIS IS A MINETHIS IS A MINE
THIS IS A MINE

DIFFICULT TO SEE


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb