ALIVE FROM CAMBODIA (KEEPIN IT RIEL)


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 10th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We loved phnom penh instantly we were a bit scared cause so many people we met did not like Cambodia not sam and sean the total opposite in fact they truly are an amazing pepople its frightening to learn about their very recent history sickening Pol pot was one evil man i think some people find it so very difficult because the poverty is so obvious the khmer rouge took over the Country i think in the late 70's after the americaians left he killed anbody that was educated doctors ,teachers everyone, kids were made kill their parents he wanted to make a year zero similiar to that of Hitler but, much worse we visited the Killing fields this is a very eery place there is a display cabinet that holds 8985 no names just in age catagories,al these people were killed under his regime gas and poison was used mass graves, people were fed to crocodiles woman and babies were beheaded and this guy is only dead since 1998 we felt ill leaving this place the same day we went to an orphanage it shocked us to see it was just a shed we were expecting atleast to see a building the Government want them to move next year out to the country it is very poor the kids rang in age from 2 up to 18 they need 100kg of rice a day for 149 kids 11 adults so we were able to buy 50kg of rice (its all we could afford)its the dear season right now it cost 30 dollars and we bought a football and a game they like to play we felt we had done a little to help these kids are very poor and sadly in Cambodia child beggars are plentiful they ask tourists not to give the kids money because it keeps them on the streets child sex tourism is sadly another issue here. we felt great love and pity for this country its an amazing place also to our amazement we found a stall that sells deep fried insects we were not brave enough to try them out!!!! But, if you think about the Romans and the Greeks in the 1st century ate them also and after all The holy bible mentions John the Baptist survived on an all bug- diet he dipped locuste into honey and honey is only regurgitated liquid from insects but, i bet you guys all love it??????? they are apparently tasty high in protein and calories Cambodias tasty treats range fom grasshoppers ,red ants, hard shell black beetles and wait for it TRANTULAS (Im not sure if my spelling is right but the biggest spider in the world)CRUNCHY enjoy the pics..


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ENTRANCE INTO THE ORPHANAGEENTRANCE INTO THE ORPHANAGE
ENTRANCE INTO THE ORPHANAGE

We were aleast expecting a solid building not a shed.
A VERY BASIC BEDROOMA VERY BASIC BEDROOM
A VERY BASIC BEDROOM

Atleast 5 kids sleep here everynight
The kitchenThe kitchen
The kitchen

This is far from a modern kitchen they need 100kg of rice a day to feed everyone.
Buying rice at the millBuying rice at the mill
Buying rice at the mill

Meet alex he was our driver for a day he only charged us 15 dollers for the day.
checkin out his new ballcheckin out his new ball
checkin out his new ball

this is only 50kgs of rice thats what they need for half a day. It cost us $30 this is the expensive time of year.
RAZOR WIRE FENCINGRAZOR WIRE FENCING
RAZOR WIRE FENCING

THE GOVERNMENT WANT THEM TO MOVE WITHIN A YEAR.
A SKULL AT THE KILLING FIELDSA SKULL AT THE KILLING FIELDS
A SKULL AT THE KILLING FIELDS

This place makes you feel sick to your stomach
8985 PEOPLE8985 PEOPLE
8985 PEOPLE

THIS IS A DISPLAY OF PEPOLES SKULLS VERY CHILLING
Where restless spirits layWhere restless spirits lay
Where restless spirits lay

MAY THEY REST IN PEACE


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0987s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb