CAMBODIA...Countering conceptions...Sweeping aside perceptions


Advertisement
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
September 14th 2013
Published: September 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

CAMBODIA...Countering conceptions...Sweeping aside perceptions. When you finally reach a destination that has been on your wish list for years...is it as you expect? Does any exotic destination turn out as you expect? No...Never...yep...never. Cambodia...where zillions of TBers have snapped away. Has any photo of the ruins around Siem Reap...around Angkor Wat...not been seen on TB before? Th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 96, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

BEING BLESSEDBEING BLESSED
BEING BLESSED

Preah Khan
IN HEAVENIN HEAVEN
IN HEAVEN

Ta Prohm
FACE IN A WINDOWFACE IN A WINDOW
FACE IN A WINDOW

Bayon temple
RESTINGRESTING
RESTING

Preah Khan
RESTING RESTING
RESTING

Ta Prohm
BALEYBALEY
BALEY

The best Guide in Cambodia
THE GUARDIANTHE GUARDIAN
THE GUARDIAN

Preah Khan
PEACE CHILDPEACE CHILD
PEACE CHILD

Preah Khan
THE COLONNADETHE COLONNADE
THE COLONNADE

Preah Khan
FACESFACES
FACES

Bayon temple
YOUETAYOUETA
YOUETA

Our driver



14th September 2013

A land full of conceptions...preconceptions.....misconceptions.
As always you've captured the heart and soul of this country. Open eyes, open heart. Great photos.
14th September 2013

Open eyes, open heart
Thanks for enjoying entre.
14th September 2013
LET THERE BE LIGHT

Nice one Dave
Mystic
14th September 2013
LET THERE BE LIGHT

Mystic
This one I did stop the car for!
14th September 2013

Beautifully written blog... Seeing all the smiling faces in Cambodia, it's really hard to imagine what their families had gone through... truly amazing country! And you captured it really well on your photos, great shots! Regards from Kampot!
14th September 2013

Seeing all the smiling faces in Cambodia
Thanks for your comments Anna. I echo your thoughts. I found the Cambodian people some of the most friendly and warm of spirit I have experienced in my travels...find it incomprehensible they can be so considering what they've been through. A very photogenic country that i will share in blogs to come. Lots of smiling faces saved for my future Faces of Cambodia blog as well. Enjoy and keep the verve in your own momentous travels.
14th September 2013
LET THERE BE LIGHT

Making amends
You may not have stopped the car for the tug-of-war photo, but you saw [i]this[/i] opportunity and took it. Well done!
14th September 2013
LET THERE BE LIGHT

Making amends
You know me Jo...still wish I'd stopped the car. So does your comment come from Japan? Always blows me away no matter how far...but in reality how close the TB family is in the ether. Bang that drum Jo and do us proud.
14th September 2013

Loving the pictures
Wonderful shots you can feel the personalities of the people. So agree about the one that got away, so many times it happens and sit brooding over that lost snap
14th September 2013

Loving the pictures
Thanks Jo & Ian. This blog more about the people than the temples or the portraits. I mentioned the missed shot because it really bugged me at the time. I had thought about starting a Forum thread as I usually have a couple of cracker shots I miss each trip due to indecision or hesitation that are only preserved in the memory.
14th September 2013

People in almost every picture...
that's how you make a difference in portraying an over-touristed site. The pigs don't look very comfortable on their ride. The dogs...well your usual Asian dog. You didn't tell us anything about the model in red...was she there for a photo shoot?
14th September 2013

People in almost every picture...
Well sighted Bob. People in almost every shot...but not crowds. Of the zillions of pics I took in Cambodia, only one sight shows the crowds...and that's thanks to Baley...was very hard to avoid at say Angkor Wat, so that sight was a challenge. The model in red was at a photo shoot. Even posed for me for portraits so that was a nice touch.
15th September 2013
BALEY

No concept of celebrity?
I tried ringing Baley's phone number, but it seems he was fully-booked for weeks to come. And that was before the release of this blog.
15th September 2013
BALEY

No concept of celebrity?
I'm pleased if you tried to contact him Jason. I did more than recommend him. Also pleased for him if he's busy. He has a lot of mouths to feed. Was wonderful having a guide who got all my jokes and related so well with us when our backgrounds were so different.
15th September 2013
BALEY

"The best guide in Cambodia"
I'm not sure what methodology they used?
15th September 2013
BALEY

"The best guide in Cambodia"
A Dancing Duo Recommendation...no better in many parts of the World...definitely would take the Nomad vote if lucky enough to spend time with him! We will definitely engage him for our return to Cambodia...scintillating company.
15th September 2013
LET THERE BE LIGHT

Phew! Glad you didn't cause a pileup trying to get that shot...
Particularly since I already have the original hanging on my bedroom wall... though to be honest, it isn't nearly as good as this shot though!
15th September 2013
LET THERE BE LIGHT

Phew! Glad you didn't cause a pileup trying to get that shot...
Well, well, well...the Nomad not satisfied just nicking my 3 dots, my camera & my name. Now claiming to pinch my pics...fortunately admitting he has not perfected the quality control. Maybe I should provide you with a photo of "my right eye"...always then there to keep an eye on YOU!!!
15th September 2013

Completely different!
Can't wait for the second (third?) installment. How was the pool? Where were your caterers from? And what of the snake girl pictures?
15th September 2013

Completely different!
The snake girl in the floating bowl was the find of another blogger...no such luck for this humble blogger. A completely different experience...the world's longest swimming pool...caterers of a unique experience? Yeh...
15th September 2013

Cambodia
There is an NGO inside the Angkor temples, called ODA, where you can give some donations or spend some time with the kids. They do an amazing job. I know there are many organizations like that one. Amazing people, always smiling, yes, something I canĀ“t do most of the time.
15th September 2013

NGOs
Many NGOs in Cambodia doing amazing and worthwhile work. We found a very positive vibe in Cambodia of determination to bring the country into a better place for its people.
19th November 2013

As you said earlier in this blog, finally going to a destination that has been your list for years. I have had that experience before more than I like to admit. It ends up one of two ways when you actually get there. Because of the hype you give it in your mind or thoughts it is either a) Surpasses any thought or hype you had given it, or B) or fails to live up to the hype that you thought it would be. I also find on a personal level, that any tourist to any foreign country has a certain level of misconception about the country they are going to. I try and go into any new place with an open mind and open heart. I wanted to thank you for a well written entry and beautiful pictures.
19th November 2013

Surpasses any thought or hype?
Thanks Terry. I used to think I would dilute my appreciation of a destination if I viewed photos beforehand...but I had to do research to get there...potential dilemma. Then I found the experience was so different from my preconceptions...I can now view pics beforehand...without misconceptions. Phew...Guess that amounts to countering conceptions!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 13; qc: 40; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb