CAMBODIA...The Thief Betrayed by a Perfume


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
September 25th 2013
Published: September 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

CAMBODIA...The Thief Betrayed by a Perfume.

It is said that shining a bright light in dark corners of the jungle makes cockroaches scuttle.

It is said that being unfaithful lacks spice and remains unattractive for a man or a woman without a touch of treachery.

Do I have your attention?

There was a merchant who brought home from a successful day of trading, five golden tablets.

To hide his day's gain, he buried them in a hole and marked the location by placing a stone with a knife on top of it.

However, the merchant's wife was entertaining her lover when her husband arrived home. Upon hearing his arrival she ordered her lover to hide under the house.

The merchant pretty chuffed at his day's success told his wife of his bounty and where he had hidden it.

Meanwhile, the wife's lover, crouching below, heard his words with delight and acted quickly, dug up the loot and took off with it, smiling that look of a fox that has successfully raided a chicken coop.

The next morning the merchant went to check on his treasure...but it was gone.

He then asked
ELEPHANT TRUNKELEPHANT TRUNKELEPHANT TRUNK

Preah Khan
to meet the Judge. Sadly the Judge could offer no remedy.

The merchant then went to see the King and told him of his misfortune.

The King listening carefully...considering...mmm...started to doubt the honesty of the merchant's wife.

The King then requested the merchant be given a bottle of oil...perfumed with a rare and heavily scented essence. He also told him to keep it by his bedside table...and if he discovered it empty...to advise the King immediately.

The merchant followed the King's instructions.

One day the lover visited his mistress.

Seeing the bottle of oil she sprayed it on her lover, emptying part of the contents on his smooth uncovered skin.

The merchant came home from work that evening...noticed the volume in the bottle was lower...and immediately left to tell the King.

The King with a knowing look in his eye seemed to think...its time for a party...inviting all his people to attend the frivolity.

When the lover entered the palace gates, he was immediately recognised as he was still covered by a strong essence...an aroma of guilt so to speak.

He was brought before the King.

Questioned by His Majesty as to the origin of the strong perfume, the lover, unveiled, reeking of infidelity...admitted that it was the wife of the merchant that had sprayed it upon him...during his last visit.

The King judged that the guilty man should return the stolen golden tablets to the merchant.

He also decided that he and his mistress be incarcerated...chucked in the clink...and sold them as slaves.



*********

The King has long died...his kingdom engulfed by the jungle...vines climbing over the palaces, temples, the symbols of the mighty Khmer empire.

Trees stretching their roots between stone columns, stone blocks, trunks straddling stone rooves, their branches and roots like arms embracing, enveloping, blanketing, strangling, controlling, covering, hiding past glories from view.

*********



We would enter at daybreak...wander alone in their grandeur...marvel in quiet solitude...the spirits of Khmer kings fighting the spirits of the jungle...reliving the magnificence in their stories...asparas dancing among the stones...right here...in front of our eyes.

The temples of ancient Angkor.

Words don't do them justice.

Let the pictures tell their own stories...Part Two of which is below.



Relax & Enjoy,

Dancing Dave


Additional photos below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

WATER DREAMINGWATER DREAMING
WATER DREAMING

Angkor Thom
AVENUE OF DEMONSAVENUE OF DEMONS
AVENUE OF DEMONS

Angkor Thom
NORTH GATENORTH GATE
NORTH GATE

Angkor Thom
ELEPHANT TERRACEELEPHANT TERRACE
ELEPHANT TERRACE

Angkor Thom
NORTH GATENORTH GATE
NORTH GATE

Angkor Thom
LOOKING INLOOKING IN
LOOKING IN

Preah Khan
NORTH GATENORTH GATE
NORTH GATE

Angkor Thom


25th September 2013
THE KISS

Wat! No Tongues?
...best of the lot. Who takes the credit for this?
25th September 2013
THE KISS

Wat! No Tongues?
You know me...appreciating the spirituality of the locale...maintaining a platonic but close relationship
25th September 2013

Wow
Words escape me. Loved it. Thanks.
25th September 2013

Words escape me.
Thanks MJ. My pleasure to share it...loved Cambodia...full of delights.
25th September 2013

Love the story!
What a great parable wit which to start your blog. Thanks, I enjoyed it. Karen
25th September 2013

Love the story!
Thanks Karen. A piece of Khmer folk lore seemed appropriate with the pictures so I gave it a whirl.
25th September 2013
PREAH KHAN

I saw monkeys when I was there too, but not one like this. What a rare find! Great tale, too.
25th September 2013
PREAH KHAN

I saw monkeys when I was there too
I have great respect for monkeys...I couldn't believe how hard it was to swing from that tree root...especially when other macho tourists followed my lead and couldn't do it!
26th September 2013

Wat a legend!
The story and the photos :-) Nice work.
26th September 2013

Wat a legend!
Wat's zat? Wat a challenge to use Wat's zit & zat without getting into trouble. Nice to hear from you Jo.
26th September 2013

Hmmmm, not sure about the intelect of the thief and the wife...
I mean, really? Spraying her lover with perfumed oil that the husband has put there? She never thought, 'Hey, why has my husband suddenly put this bottle of perfumed oil here? He never used to give a rats ass about how he or even I smelled.' And the lover, he clearly didn't think straight either, at least he could have washed it off before attending the party. He seemed so clever in the beginning, and then, well... That said, in Holland most students spray their bikes in fantastical colours for exactly that reason. If somebody steals it, and rides around with it... Yep, I think you can guess how the story ends. And there were some pretty stupid thieves in my time, who didn't bother to change the colour.
26th September 2013

Hmmmmm...
Nice point Ralf...and you are right...intellect was not considered by the lovers in our story. And thanks for reminding me about the colour of his bike. The secret was in the second sentence: "It is said that being unfaithful lacks spice and remains unattractive for a man or a woman without a touch of treachery." That is the moral of the story...pretty deep I know...great to debate morality with you. These lovers got off on the risk. I reckon he'd have turned up at the party on a bright red bike...probably had his shirt off...then got the shock of his life when the King said "You're busted."
29th September 2013

What a place
Amazing pictures just makes me want to go there NOW
29th September 2013

What a place
Thanks Jo & Ian. Quite a challenge to take good pics of ruins I found as so much grey on grey. However, early morning and evening shots had better ambience proving the adage that these are the best times for photos. However the temples in my next blog are even more sensational which highlights what a great destination Cambodia is.
7th October 2013

Great story!
A great story and as always lots of great photos! I haven't had time to sift through my own photos from the last trip yet due to work half-killing me. Hopefully I'll have some up some day. :)
8th October 2013

Great story!
Thanks Per-Olof. A Khmer tale with the Dancing Dave touch. Time you pulled out your pics...it's time!!!
19th October 2013

Beautifully written blog, dancing one - one of your best.
19th October 2013

Just a dancer?
Thanks Laila...It's nice to think some think of me as more than just a dancer!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 24; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb