No money, no honey!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 3rd 2011
Published: December 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The bus dropped us at the Cambodian border, where we met an American family who also looked a bit lost so we decided to all stick together. The actual crossing was very easy though! To get to Siem Reap from the border took another 2 hours so we squashed into a taxi with the Americans in search of our hostel.

Despite prebooking, on arrival our hostel was subsequently full due to there being a marathon around Angkor Wat the next day so we were sent to their 'sister hotel' "Pop Rendezvous" which was a bit of a step backwards from our hotel in Bangkok (no room lock and very questionable sheets)! As it was late we had a nice meal and headed back early to look for another hostel and to get an early night.

We moved to "Garden Village" the next morning which was a proper backpackers hangout with beer for 50cent! After checking in we spent the afternoon in Angkor Wat the 8th wonder of the world. A tuk tuk driver took us around, giving us chance to get out and explore temples that were like mazes and in beautiful locations such as down a long walkway over the water. The afternoon was spent looking around the markets and watching mopeds fly by us in a cafe. In the evening we sat in the hostel bar and met a Canadian (Justin Bieber lookalike) who gave us amazing tips of where to go and stay. 1am wasn't quite the early night we planned as the alarm was set for 4am to see sunrise!

Waking up early wasn't a problem as jetlag was still causing problems. We arrived at Angkor Wat by 5am. Standing under the starry sky was beautiful, we walked around for a while to find a good spot for watching the sun rise. It was amazing to watch the sun come up with the locals playing their relaxing music in the background. We then spent hours walking around Angkor Wat itself followed by Bayon. Around the Bayon temple we got an elephant ride and we also got to feed them which was so cute as they fought to get attention.

Rather than go to bed in the afternoon and confuse our bodies more we headed to the floating markets. The journey there was interesting as the roads were shocking so we had to swerve holes in the road, mopeds and cows wondering around. We got a boat to the markets and saw the horrendous conditions that the poorest people in Cambodia live in, it was eye opening to say the least. The murky water was faul and we watched in shock as we saw the residents use the water to drink from, wash, swim and use as a toilet. We stopped to buy food for the children at the school which doubles up as an orphanage. It was so sad going into the school because as soon as we got off the boat we were surrounded by children jumping up and scrambling to get some of the food we had brought. Despite all of this they are all so happy - just like all of the Cambodian people, smiley, friendly and despite thier horrible living conditions don't have a care in the world.

After such an amazing and emotional day we were shattered in the evening. We met up with the American family from the border crossing for tea at Red Piano (Angelina Jolie made this place famous), where we caught up on the last few days and then had an early night. This was the first night of a proper sleep!!!

Next stop South Cambodia - Phnom Penh...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb