"Bangkok swallows you up and spits you back out"


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
November 30th 2011
Published: December 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After arriving 6 hours early to Heathrow, a 2 hour delay and wearing our backpacks for the first time (with jumpers) we gave up on finding the train quickly and opted for a taxi to take us to the hotel. That evening we headed out to the China town, the smells could only be described as interesting and after walking aimlessly through the busy streets we settled on mango and sticky rice for tea.

Jet lag got the better of us that night and we sat wide awake until 5am. We deserved a lie in and then set off to explore the temple of Wat Arun (the temple of the rising sun) and to see the giant reclining Budda which was very impressive. Unfortunatly the Grand Palace was shut so we sat in a riverside bar watching the world go by to wait for our boat back. That evening we found a lovely restuarant, getting excited about understanding what was on the menu we ordered far too much - enough for about 6 people, needless to say we didn't finish it all but a couple of Thai and Canadian flood victims were happy to help finish it off. Next stop was Koah San Road where we met 3 Germans, got home at 7am and woke at 4pm. Jet lag 2 - us 0.

Waking up late meant that we had to rush to the Vietnamese Embassy to get our visa and after finally hunting it down (due to each Tuk Tuk drivers sending us the on a wild goose chase) we arrived half an hour late!! We returned to Koah San Road in the evening (1 camera-less) and after sipping a beer on a roof top terrace, tired and unco-ordinated embarassingly gave into a Macdonalds.

The next day was an early start as we set off for an 8 hour bus journey! Next stop Cambodia - Siem Reap...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb