They love you long time in Phnom Penh!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
December 6th 2011
Published: December 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It was another 6 hour journey to Phnom Penh, where we were met at the bus station by our tuk tuk driver and taken to the guesthouse "Encounters". It was a lovely place run by an English man and on arrival we decided to stay two nights which meant we could have our washing done for free! Happy days! The dorm room slept 8 people and consisted of a mattress on the floor and your own mossy net. An experience to say the least!

We explored the grand palace in the afternoon which looked amazing on the outside with lots of little temples and was very grand! After heading back and showering, our Canadian friend walks in!! We headed out for tea and then sat with him and some of his friends on the riverside drinking cocktails.

The next day we had a leisurely morning and after saying goodbye to our new friends headed out on a tuk tuk to visit the killing fields. Firstly arriving at S21 which was a concentration camp during the Khmer Rouge takeover. Here we learnt how Pol Pots (the leader) had instructed the soldiers to unmercifully kill all Cambodians thought to be intelligent! One quarter of the population were killed during this time! It was horrible and sickening especially the conditions they were kept in and the way they were treated. From S21 we were then taken to what is known as the killing fields. This is where the prisoners were taken to be killed. We were guided around the huge field listening to victims stories and viewing the mass graves.

Considering how much of a blood bath it once was, there were butterflies and flowers all around making the fields seem almost peaceful. In the centre of the fields a beautfiul temple had been built to remember all that lost their lives to such a terrible cold hearted monster.

After a very qiet afternoon reflecting on how lucky we are, we grabbed lunch on the riverfront and made friends with a lovely Cambodian girl - Jeevies. She recommended her favourite restaurant in Phnom Pehn and that evening we ate their. It was beautiful set within a forest and the food was gorgeous. We met Jeevies for a drink after then headed home for an early night.

Goodbye Cambodia, next stop Vietnam!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb