Day 6 - Siem Reap Angkor Thom Complex and Ta Prohm


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
November 12th 2011
Published: November 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

At 08:00am we set off to Angkor. We bought a 7 day pass and 20minutes later we had arrived at Angkor Complex. Nothing on earth could have prepare us for the beauty before us. We both felt emotionally touched by the grandiosity and splendour before our eyes! It's impossible to describe the size, the number of Temples, its civilizations and culture and reason for this entire Complex. Anyone reading our blog we advise that you seek more information of this wonder of the world.

First we went to Angkor Thom complex some 10 sq km in size surrounded by a 50 m wide moat built in 1181-1219. We visited the Bayon, the famous temple of many faces, then the Baphuon, then we went into the Royal Palace, the Terraces of the Elephants and of the Leper King. This took us 5 hours in intense heat. We needed a rest and returned to our 'temple' for a couple of hours rest (a swim, a shower and a bite to eat). At 03:30pm we returned to Angkor Complex and a real treat awaited us - Ta Prohm. This Temple was the only temple left untouched by the french. The trees had taken over the structures of the Temple, the sound of the jungle was deafening (a shrieking mysthical creature), the pictures are unable to portray the reality of this beauty.

On our way back to the hostel, T took us the local funfair/market where we had a few beers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb