Sunrise at Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
April 11th 2010
Published: April 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hit my snooze button a coupe of times this morning before giving in and getting up at 4:30am! Our tuk-tuk picked us up at 5am. It was really dark when we got to Angkor and I remembered at this point that I had meant to bring a torch...... Angkor looked magical even in the dark, it's surrounded by a moat which also adds to its charm.

We headed down to where the crowd was gathering, just behind a lake looking towards the wat and the sunrise. We perched on some rocks round the side of the lake and I amused myself waiting for the sun by spotting tiny baby frogs. We sat for about 30mins watching the sunrise, which was only slightly spoiled by the scaffolding and green netting covering part of the wat. Soon as the sun was up we raced to and around the wat to get some people free pics, a rare thing in such a heavily touristy spot.

After we went to Angkor Thom, an area containing numerous wats. Bayon was by far the most impressive- full of carved stone heads. We'd been out about 4hrs at this point (9am) and had seen what we wanted and I'd taken so many pics that my battery had died so we went back to our GH.

Had some brekkie at GH across the road. I ordered beans and bread and got beans and a crusty baguette, not quite what I had in mind but tasty all the same. Was quite entertaining to see peoples bemused faces as they were handed scrambled eggs on one plate and a baguette on another 😊 As we'd had such an early start we decided to go back to room and read/nap before heading off to internet. Went to the Night market in the evening which was a little too clean cut and empty for our liking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb