Feeling hot at the temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
April 10th 2010
Published: April 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Everyone in Cambodia seems so nice and smiley especially the people at our GH, we really like Cambodia so far 😊

We arranged/hired a tuk-tuk driver for the day ($10-how cheap is that!). In Cambodia they use Riel and $ as currency but nearly everything is priced in $ and you just get small change in Riel and it's amazing how much costs $1, it's all you ever here from street sellers $1, $1!

We started out at Ta Prohm temple which is really cool, lots of funky trees seemingly growing out of and around the ruins. We followed the small circuit track and went to Banteay Kdei, Sras Srang, Pre Rup, East Mebon, Ta Som, Neak Pean and Preah Khan which was also very impressive. The temples are spread over such a vast area, even I was glad that Rob had dissuaded me from my bike riding idea, it was just too hot and too far and tuk-tuk was much appreciated.

Tourists get a lot and I mean a lot of harassment here, women and kids mainly kids run up to you at every temple trying to sell you drinks, fruit, scarves, bracelets and oddly flutes. It can get a bit much at times in the searing heat and they can be relentless. You feel really sad as they recite a script to you asking your name and where you're from. After 5hrs you could have wrung the sweat out of the two of us and we decided to call it a day.

We ate at our GH when we got back. We were adventurous and tried Chicken Amok which was absolutely beautiful 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb