Long Wa Up Day X and XI


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 21st 2009
Published: December 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day X and XI

Border

We managed to cross the border after 23 hours. WUHUU!

Siem Reap

We had 152km to drive to Siem Reap, roads were nice but landscapes were boring. We arrived by sunset and found a really nice hotel for only 15usd per night.

Religion

I talked with one woman from the US, who’s been living in Cambodia for some time, and she said that local people are unhappy because of their religious belief that if you do once something wrong in your life you will be reborn as a dog. One mistake will haunt you forever. I find it really sad because I know that one gets only better by making mistakes.

Soul

Somehow the whole place lacks soul and spirit, everything is so surrendered to tourism. We talked with with Olga a lot about local situation in here. People are obviously still suffering from the war memories and it seems they struggle to figure out their own cultural identity.

Summary about Siem Reap

Unbeliveable tourist city in the middle of nowhere. Various amount of huge hotels with many stars. Center is full of bars and restaurants, you can get here anything from French wines and baquetes to amerikan bbw ribs and Italian sorbet. You get smiles from the locals, but you see sadness in their eyes.

Angkor and its temples Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom

Amazing place, especially the Angkor Thom. I advice that if you come here, take a day for thinking in Angkor Thom forrest. Jungle sounds are great and provide their own incredible atmosphere. I still don’t advice to come for one week, because outside Temples there is not so much to see. However it depends on what are you interested in: if archeology and ancient cultures, this is the place to be.

Biking

Police tries to fuck us up all the time, but we stay strong and keep on rocking. People to whom I spoke all said that they never saw tourists with their own bike in Cambodia.

See video for more:


Cheers
I&O


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb