Volunteer Day II


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 31st 2006
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

THe driver got the right place today. The kids were happy to see us. I had basically the same group as yesterday and a few more, including 2 litle 3 year old girls all dressed up in their school uniforms. They were a bit overwhelmed by my presence.

Today I brought some blank paper and wax crayons for the kids. Some kids quickly folded their paper and put it in their plastic bag or backpack. One older fellow quickly hid his crayon and wanted another one. The oldest girl, about 10, gave some of her paper to a friend standing outside the classroom.

I wanted them to draw images of themselves so we could learn body parts. Most of the kids would not take the iniative to complete the picture until I had put the facial parts on the blackboard. Other kids drew very small faces in the corner of the sheet to conserve paper.

We repeated the same games outside and I was suprized that some of the children remembered the names for different body parts used in "Hocky-Pocky". There was a scramble to get to see who got to hold my hand. I would rather not touch any of them due to the runny noses and open sores.

After a while the teacher came in and insisted we follow the lesson plan in the text book. How boring and culturally inappropriate. So many words and illustrations that have nothing to do with their lives.

A five hour break before we returned to our afternoon class at the Pagoda school. The kids were nervous as they were awaiting the results of the previous day's test to see who would get to take the 8 week computer course so their consentration wasn't that great.

After class Claudete went back to the B&B and I went back downtown. She can't handled being hit on by the street kids.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb