Saturday at West Baraay and a couple of other things


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 11th 2009
Published: February 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bike ride to West BaraayBike ride to West BaraayBike ride to West Baraay

We stopped so some people could get their bikes fixed!
On Saturday we cycled to West Baraay; it's a man-made lake that's a few km long, and was made around 800 years ago I think, and there's a Temple in the middle of the lake on an island. The bike ride getting there was long and bumpy, and I was almost getting cranky (kept getting stuck in sand!) when we arrived. There's a small strip of beach, with some stalls and hammocks that you can rent. It's not a tourist place, it's where locals go to swim. We rented some hammocks and rubber rings for the water, and had snacks, some cold drinks and a picnic - all in all it was a really fun day, and well worth the bike ride!

So I tried four new foods on Saturday (some in pictures); Jack fruit, milk fruit, squid and fried beetles!!!! Not so keen on the squid, and the beetles just tasted a bit greasy, but glad I tried them both. Annemaries boyfriend Jake was with us, so they ordered the picnic food and got us a good deal on the prices (he's Cambodian).

The bike ride back was really funny, with around ten of us cycling along the
Sugar cane juiceSugar cane juiceSugar cane juice

We also stopped on the way for sugar cane juice, this is the lady making it at the side of the road
main road, route 6 (I think it's the biggest road in Cambodia, but only really has about one and a half lanes in each direction) because we didn't want to go back the long bumpy way. Well if one white person makes people stare, a long line of us on bikes on the main road really made people look twice! So many people were staring and smiling and laughing, and shouting "hello" from bikes and the side of the road. It was actually a little worrying, because they were driving forwards but looking at us sideways on!!!!

Monday was a public holiday so I went to play with the kids instead of teaching them. In the morning a few of the other volunteers came with me to play with the kids, it was so fun. It's just incredible how they can entertain themselves with so few toys; some of them were playing a game on the ground, only using chalk and bits of stick. It was nice to see them in a different light, and I felt very privileged to be able to be there with them and witness them just hanging out together.

Finally, it was Erins
West BaraayWest BaraayWest Baraay

The beach
birthday yesterday so we had a party in the evening at the house, it was really fun.






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Just in case you don't believe meJust in case you don't believe me
Just in case you don't believe me

Me eating squid! (I haven't really eaten much seafood in the past)
Public holiday Public holiday
Public holiday

Playing ball with the kids in the yard
Public holiday IIPublic holiday II
Public holiday II

Sariep and Tap Sin
Erins BirthdayErins Birthday
Erins Birthday

Sparklers, yay!


11th February 2009

beetles!!
Hi Clairey,can't believe you've eaten beetles.Were they crunchy?How lovely to play games with the children.Enjoy the rest of the week. Love mummyxxx
17th February 2009

Beetles!!
Claire, eating squid is normal, we don't really need pictures of that ... BEETLES on the other hand ... you ... ate ... BEETLES!!! Very brave and / or insane!!!

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb