3 weeks gone already.


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
August 23rd 2008
Published: August 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had an awesome week at Angali this week. A new volunteer started with us (Jess) so I wasn't left on my own when Elisa left. We had some really cool activities planned but it's so hard to get the right materials you need here. There's quite a few stationary shops with "everything you need" but we always manage to plan an activity that involves one small thing we can't find. We wanted to do life size drawings of the kids but we couldn't find any large paper for them to draw around themselves on but it did end up being an awesome activity anyway. The Khmer teacher didn't turn up so we couldn't do anything that needed too much explanation so we gave them all some chalk and told them to draw on the floor. So the entire upstairs floor was covered with pics of the kids among other things and it looked amazing! I just wish it could have been perminant! For the next workshop session we played some games then put some music on so the kids were all cleaning the floor with their breakdancing!

On Thursday it was Elisa's last day so we had a fun day full of party games and treats. We started with a sort of cicuit training course thing. We had basketball, Limbo, Dancing, Skipping, Egg and spoon (but with water and not eggs) and a bench hopping thing. The kids absolutely loved it! Then in the afternoon with the older ones we did some apple bobbing and pin the tail on the donkey. It only cost us about $6 for 20 apples and as soon as the kids saw them they were excited. They never really have apples cause they're all imported so quite expensive for the locals. Then when we explained the game they couldn't wait to get started! Although some of them didn't quite understand and tried to eat the apple one bite at a time instead of taking the apple out the water. We baught 100 little rubbers for $4 to give them as little prizes and it's amazing what they will do to try and get a rubber. I had one girl stand infront of me with her hand out for 10 minutes or so just for a tiny rubber. We gave them all one in the end anyway so that everyone got something.
Then with the little ones we played the biscuit game and the balloon game! We threaded loads of biscuits on to a long piece of string and three kids at a time had to eat 1 biscuit without using their hands. It was a good job we bought a massive tub of biscuits cause half of them ended up trying to bite 3 at once. We had checked with Sam (Director at Angali) about giving them biscuits and he said as long as it's only once every now and then it's ok cause they brush their teeth and everything at Angali everyday. The balloon game was a bit of a disaster bit still good fun. The idea was that we hung some balloons from a rope and some were filled with prizes and some with water. The kids would then be blindfolded and have to choose a balloon to pop over their head. It was based on a Khmer game that Sam told us about where they do the same thing but with clay pots. We figured it would be cheaper and safer with balloons though. It took me forever to squeeze the rubbers in the balloons but it was worth it. We managed to get a few of the kids to play the game properly but most of them just grabbed the water balloons and threw them at eachother. It ended up as more of a massive water fight and they were throwing the balloons off the balcony and soaking eachother with buckets of water. It was a very hot day so it was really nice for them to cool down.

Elisa didn't leave Siem Reap until this morning though, which is why I was up so early on a Saturday. Last night we had a little farewell gathering on the rooftop bar where I gave Elisa her little goodbye pressies. Jess and I got the kids to make thankyou cards for her yesterday and I am still covered in glitter as a result. I also bought her a cake cause when it was her birthday she didn't tell anyone and she got her own birthday cake. Then we just went out for a really nice meal at the paper tiger and a few drinks at the warehouse after.

Jess and I have some awesome activities lined up for the kids to do this week. Lots of mess involved too...my favourite! And...we actually managed to get hold of all the stuff we needed for them. I took loads of cool pictures of this weeks adventures but there is something wrong with my memory card reader and it wont let me see the pics on the computer which is why todays blog looks a little plain.

We're hopefully going to the floating village tomorrow...maybe followed by the flooded forrest but I've heard rumours of massive spiders and huge webs so i may have to take a big stick to defend myself! And in other news...I actually ate a curry for dinner this week...well...half of one! But there is photographic evidence taken by another volunteer so im not lying! It wasn't too bad considering it involved rice!

There's been another funeral nearby so lots of preyer and music...2 days of it so far. During the funeral they take loads of pictures of people washing the body and crying their eyes out...then they show everyone the pictures like you do with wedding photos! And the more important you are...the longer the body stays on show for and the longer the music and preyer goes on for too.

I think that's all for today...probably not but oh well!

See you in 5 weeks!

K8
x x x


Advertisement



23rd August 2008

letter
Dear Kate.Again thanks for your wonderful descriptions of your stay.Can imagine the children love you and all the fun you provide for them.We are having a lousy summer but to-day is nice and sunny,so hope to do a bit of gardening.We are picking lovely beans now.Last week I had a trip by bus with U.3.A. to Rotherfield to visit a lovely old church and afterwards,to lunch in an old pub.And next week we are going to Hasting museum,one bonus of being old,we have free busrides!Tomorrow Becca and Charlie are coming for Sunday Lunch,roast pork with all the trimmings followed by strawberries and cream.They came back from Danmark last night so looking forward to news from there. Love Grandma xxx
24th August 2008

3 weeks!
Hi Kate Last week sounds amazing- what a time you are having! I am so pleased that everything is working out so well. The activities sound great- I bet the children are enjoying such creative work after all those dull hours of learning phonetic sounds! Your woirk at Langney is giving you some great ideas. I was pleased to hear that you are still using the glitter! The rain continues here unabated- it's bank holiday so of course, the weather is now worse than ever! Yesterday, we went to Goodwood because we were given some entry badges for the 'posh' enclosure. It was great- everyone taking out tables and picnic hampers for a champagne lunch- one person was even carving a joint at the table. We had a plastic tub with ryevitas and marmite! I think we made quite an entry! Grandad William has taken pity on us and bought us a wicker hamper- so now I cant wait to pick it up and go somewhere nice for a picninc. Martin, Jane and Joe have been in Devon this week- I think they must have caight the rain too- and so I have been feeding the cat for them. I thought that Boycee was eating like a pig until I caught a stray black cat in the conservatory-Boycee is missing the company I think- and will be pleased to see the family back today. Joe has one week here and then he is off to Centre Parcs- then it will not be long until his birthday. Tom is moving to Balham this week- he is joining us for a rugby match at Twickers on the 6th, so I can catch up on the gossip then. Glad to hear that you are listening to prayers! Take great care- I love you loads- 5 weeks to go!!!! mumxx
25th August 2008

Back Home
Hi Kate. Got back from Devon last night and been getting up to date with all your news. What an amazing time you are having. Got your text about the curry. I`ll cook you loads when you return now that you are a devotee. Ho ho. Love the pictures from the temples. They are very famous and it`s great you were able to see them. They actually featured on Q I last week. You have chosen a good summer to travel as the weather here is awful. We had one day during the 2 weeks in Devon when it didn`t rain. Ironically that was the day we got most wet. Worth it though as we were in the sea swimming with seals which was fantastic as they came right up to you. Luckily I Dont think there are any pictures of me in wet suit flippers and mask so that is a relief. Can`t remember if you wanted me to open any of your post. Let me know. Lots of love dad xxx

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.11s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb