Temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
August 18th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So i was up at 6am on a Saturday ready to treck round the temples with Steve, tracy, Jonnie, Niamh and Laura. we had breakie at the Golden Village guest house before jumping in to two tuk tuks and heading off. I think it must have been the hottest day so far! The first temple we went to was Bayon and it was awesome! The carvings in the stone must have taken forever! We all wandered round being a bit camera snappy happy and taking pictures of every single stone used to build the thing. And yes, you will all be made to look at every single photo!
I hate stairs at the best of times but these were rediculous. It was more like mounting climbing and my knees are still feeling the pain two days later! I just remember thinking that I was gonna be the first tourist to die at the temples!
The second temple we went to was the one they filmed some of tomb raider in. I can't remember the name but this one was also awesome! infact they all were! It was surrounded by ancient trees that were growing through the temple walls and just looked stunning. We did the typical touristy thing and took lots of cheesey group photos!
The third temple was Angkor Wat and we hired a tour guide for that one so I actually learnt something about it! impressed or what!!!!! Watch the knowledge flow...
-Most of the statues have no heads cause they were stolen to be sold on the black market!
-There are many bullet holes as it was used during the Khmer Rouge!
-You can tell who the king is in the carvings because he will always be the one with the most umbrellas!
I wont bore you with any more...only dad would be interested...he he.
That was the last temple we did...it was too hot and we were too tired to do any more. I would have done the elephant tour but noone else wanted to ride one so hopefully i will find someone to go back with and do that!

We hired a tuk tuk for the entire time we were there cause all the temples were quite far apart and evertime you arrived at a new one you were hounded by people trying to sell you things. Mainly children. One girl told me that if I didn't go to her shop and buy her cold water she would cry. All of them would ask us where we were from and whenever i said England they would tell me everything they knew about my country. One girl told me all about queen elizabeth and how many children she had, how big England was and how many people lived there. I think she knew more than I did. We still didn't buy anything from them though.

After the temples we went to Prince Angkor hotel and stayed by the pool for about 4 hours or so just eating lunch and chilling. Its a massive, luxury hotel and it was really nice to pretend we were all rich for a while. ha ha.
We all went out on saturday and had a few too many drinks so yesterday was mainly spent relaxing and doing nothing much at all...we did go to the night market to watch a 3D film that wasn't 3D about Pol Pot. Was quite interesting but nothing we didn't already know.

Back at Angali today for some more traditional Macarana dancing and I finally bought my pringles yesterday too!

see you all in 6 weeks!

K8..
x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

JonnieJonnie
Jonnie

Being hounded by the kids trying to sell him something.
Cheeeeeeese or wat!Cheeeeeeese or wat!
Cheeeeeeese or wat!

infront of the Angkor Wat temple...our guides idea!
TraceyTracey
Tracey

With the street girl who is always trying to sell us things at night!


21st August 2008

woow
it sounds amazing :) i love the jumping pictures it looks wicked lol :D love u and miss u xxxxxxxxxx
22nd August 2008

Letter
Dear Kate,We have both enjoyed reading your reports and photographs. We are sure you are enjoying working with the children, and at the same time having time to explore the area.On the 15th of August we with Ruth and John had a really lovely meal at an Italian resturant, and then went on to the Congress theatre to see (Fiddler on the roof) it was to celebrate Grandma (and John`s) birthdays the bill being shared by Martin and John, your father however could not join us as he and Jane were on holiday down in lovely Devon.(Shame!!) All our Love G and G.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb