Found in Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 17th 2007
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Love cardsLove cardsLove cards

Teachers in Cambodia don't get paid enough to live and support their family, so they have to charge their students a daily fee. Here the students are making postcards which will be sent to the guesthouses in Siem Reap and hopefully reap some extra funds to supplement the teacher's pathetic salary.
So it's been about a month since i have typed in this blog space, a simple recap.....found out i was off school on Dec. 18, bought a ticket on dec. 19, flew home on dec. 21, celebrated the ahrens' family christmas on dec. 22 (also know as watching meredith open presents!) did nothing but watch american's next top model marathons from dec. 24- jan. 4 (with a quick new year's eve stop with my brother and his daddy and me club members, who successful balance quieting a crying child in one hand while making a black russian with the other.....simply amazing) a quick jump up to chicago for good food, friends and a stop over at my former school on jan.5- jan.8. then it was 3 day trip back to China.....2 days in china before a flight to bangkok. Which was quickly followed by a 14 hours of travel from bangkok to siem reap in Cambodia. And that's where you find me now.......


There is so much to say about Cambodia....this first week, I have traveled here by myself as i wait for some friends to meet up with me, instead of just wandering around aimlessly and looking for
the road to cambodiathe road to cambodiathe road to cambodia

is long, bumpy and unpaved. it is believed that a certain airline owns this road and resfuses to pave it so that people fly instead of drive. IT was the worst road i have ever driven on.
any easy excuse to fit in, i joined a volunteer group, globalteer, for one week. It has only been 3 days, but already I have seen, heard, and felt more about this one part of this one town in this one country than i know what to do with. I have meet some amazing people trying their hardest to help others do just the basices: eat, drink, and be educated.

It is too hot in this internet cafe to write more, but I hope you enjoy some of the pictures.....I'm hoping if i stay long enough in cambodia angelina and brad might want to adopt me, too......stay tuned (mom, you might need to fess up and say that you DID hit me with the wooden spoon)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

killing fields memorialkilling fields memorial
killing fields memorial

remains from a killing field nearby siem reap.....some still believe it is appropriate to pose with the dead....to each his own, i guess?
fresh water?fresh water?
fresh water?

When i asked a group of students I was teaching what they would need to survive on a island, they said "fresh water." Would anyone in america even distigushed that there was a differenc? The Trailblazer orgazination is bring fresh water to hundrends with these simple, inexpensive water filters
Oh, dusty road!!Oh, dusty road!!
Oh, dusty road!!

On the way to deliver water filters, a a road less traveled and in the dry season, very dusty
reason to smilereason to smile
reason to smile

one of the many stops.....in delivering the ability for people to ensure their own fresh water source
Brad and angelina??Brad and angelina??
Brad and angelina??

No...just a few americans, one austrialian, 2 from the uk and 1 from spain, but still they were pretty interested.
"everyone love an sexy girl""everyone love an sexy girl"
"everyone love an sexy girl"

please add your own comments :)
entertainmententertainment
entertainment

everyone spent about an hour taking the children's picture and then showing it to them....it never got old, for everyone involved.
watch out tarawatch out tara
watch out tara

american's next top model.
PlaytimePlaytime
Playtime

the one of the left was so much fun and was not shy at all.
putting the smack down....putting the smack down....
putting the smack down....

he was full of smiles after i showed him his pictures


18th January 2007

pictures
Glad to see the pictures. The children all have a smile on their face....who could ask for more?! Maybe the know how famous you are?! And if you want to be adopted, you will have to do better than the phantom "wooden spoon".
18th January 2007

Happy New Year
Here you are off an running full steam ahead. And to think it is only 17 days into 2007. Pace yourself there is still 348 days left. Love ya

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb