Sweating in Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
May 5th 2010
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

IMG_0073IMG_0073IMG_0073

Tanei Guesthouse pool
We arrived in Siem Reap at 8am local time and it was already 27 degrees. We knew it would be hot at this time of the year but the reality has been blistering. Visa on arrival went very smoothly and the airport is gorgeous. Before we knew it we were out the front and the driver from the Tanei Guesthouse had a sign with our name. To all our great excitement we were lead to a Tuk Tuk and headed off. The kids thought this was the best thing ever, but little did they know they were going to stay somewhere that had a pool. We had a huge Family room waiting for us in this great guesthouse and the pool is small but very beautiful. Great value at only $30 night with Breakfast, free airport pick up and free internet. Our room is painted the brightest shade of orange I have ever seen but Tane is in heaven over this.
We had a swim and then settled down for a big catch up sleep after our early arising in KL. The kids cleared the pool of all the backpackers with there excited screaming. Lots of dirty looks.
Siem Reap is
IMG_0069IMG_0069IMG_0069

Our tuk tuk
a funny little town in that there is very obvious poverty, but there is also heaps of trendy cafe's and shops that have obviously sprung up to meet the need of tourists. It reminds me a little of Ubud in that it is quite Bohemian but at the same time upmarket. Prices are a little higher than we imagined but that is probably due to package tourists that fly in for short visits to Angkor.
Went for a walk in the evening down to Pub Street for happy hour and discovered alcohol is very inexpensive here and $1.50 Mojito's could be had along with 50c beers. We were in holiday mode! We also met a nice Tuk Tuk driver who was great with the kids and we arranged for him to take us on our tours of the Temples the next day. His name is Prinh and he is a great driver and lovely to the kids. A 5.10am pick up time was arranged so that we can watch sunrise at Angkor Wat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

IMG_0118IMG_0118
IMG_0118

Silk worm farm
IMG_0119IMG_0119
IMG_0119

Ella supervising the pancakes
DSC00054DSC00054
DSC00054

Rehydration


7th June 2010

Awesome cousin
Kia ora cousin, I've finally got the link from your blister to catch up on your hikoi. I'm so envious, but very proud that you and Maureen have given the opportunity to your children of experiancing other cultures. Travel safely, big hugs Cousin Daele xx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb