Sweatin' and shopping in Siem Riep!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
November 16th 2007
Published: November 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Green Group, at the TempleThe Green Group, at the TempleThe Green Group, at the Temple

Aren't we an attractive bunch of happy people??!!!!!
Greetings from sunny, warm, and friendly Cambodia!

A very special Happy Birthday to my sister-in-law Sheila Feore, in Stratford, Ontario, Canada (this blog "has gone" international now, so I must be more specific in my names and locations, ha ha)

I am writing this blog on Friday, November 16th; it's 4 p.m. here. This update will be about our big adventures yesterday (but I can hardly wait to tell you about today........which has been a big WOW!). But........I need to tell you about yesterday.......

We started our morning with a fabulous breakfast at the hotel. Yum-o!!!! And then it was on the bus and on our way for the day. First stop of the day at Angkor Thom........where we did more climbing and walking (great way to work off all the wonderful food we are having.......let alone the beer, wine, etc. etc.)! It was a gorgeous, sunny, (HOT, HOT, HOT, HOT, ......HUMID........did I say it was HOT????) day and very enjoyable. We got some great pictures, learned a lot about the temples (man, I can't even imagine what the construction crews had to endure "back then"!!!!!), and some of the passengers had a fabulous experience riding the elephants. Another tour group had reserved many of the elephants for their own people, so we were limited in the opportunity for all of our people to do that. Amazing history here! It is a "must see", as far as I am concerned.

From there, well, of course........it was time for lunch! Go figure! We went to a local restaurant and the food was amazing. Not that we were necessarily hungry, but hey...........there was truly something for everyone.......even spaghetti!!!! That amused me. There's a lot of Angkor beer being consumed, which is quite tasty and refreshing after being out in that heat. From there, we headed to an amazing adventure........a water taxi to/through the Floating Village. This is where many people live, fish and survive in the non-rainy season. When the rains come, they move inland. It is incredible to see their living conditions. Sadly, there are men, women and children who approach our water taxis, in their entrepreneurial efforts to make a few $$$$ by selling us bananas, drinks, etc. I read somewhere that women bear children for this reason, because tourists are more apt to have pity on the children and give them money........thus, survival. Very sad. Children do go to school here, but only for a half day. The rest of the day is spent helping the family with farming, or.....on those "travelling stores" boats. We are blessed, that's all I can say, with all that we have and enjoy in our own lives.

From the Floating Village, we returned to our hotel and had some quiet time before dinner. I made another effort on the blog, but my major challenge is uploading pictures. So, I am now positioned at the receptionist desk in the business center (which looks out on to the lounge)........and get to interact with my travelling buddies .........I write and chat, and they are enjoying their refreshments, laughter and comraderie, or they come in and do their own e-mails.........signing up new people to the blog each and every day. As of today, 15 days into the month of November, there have been 4500 visits to our travel blog. Zoweeeeeeeee.......some of you just need to bite the bullet, contact Travel Guild (www.privatejettours.ca) and come along for the trip of a lifetime! You will love it!!!!!

Dinner was a quiet affair; low key and relaxing. The rest of the evening was spent visiting
This beats a Tuk-Tuk any day!This beats a Tuk-Tuk any day!This beats a Tuk-Tuk any day!

Susan and Seth, getting around the temples.
with each other and getting to know each other.......and, more importantly, putting together plans for today, which is a FREE day for all. And everyone is going in many different directions, which is fun for all. Stay tuned for that update.........

We have a special dinner tonight, by the pool. Not sure if I will be back in here to give you today's update or not. We'll see. Then, in the morning, it's an early departure to India (a 5 hour flight); it will be a long day. (hah......it's now 10:13 p.m., and here you go......the update for yesterday is complete. Enjoy!)

Thanks for travelling along. Everyone is enjoying your comments! It just keeps getting better and better........

(Good night, Mom. I love you!)

Happy Pat






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Check out the TV antenna......Check out the TV antenna......
Check out the TV antenna......

Some things are just important, wherever you live, ha ha


16th November 2007

Hi Pat! Wow!!! You are amazing!!! Thank you so much for making this World Tour come alive for those of us who can't be there. I can't even begin to explain to you how wonderful it is to be able to have this way of witnessing all of our hard work at the office paying off. Not just the pics Pat, but as well as all your commentary in your blogging. You're funny and very descriptive of all the adventures. Please tell Ben we miss him and it's not the same around here without his sarcasm...lol. Glad you all seem to be having such a wonderful time. Take care and may you all be blessed during the rest of all your adventures to come on the Northern World Tour 2007. - Jenny (Travel Guild Staff)
16th November 2007

Oh for the warmth of Cambodia!
Just in case no one has mentioned it, it snowed last night. Nice layer of the white stuff this morning!! So enjoy the warm sunny weather. I'm having a blast reading all your adventures! Keep 'em coming! Pearl

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb