Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » East
December 7th 2009
Published: December 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

CambodiaCambodiaCambodia

Views from the slow boat
Cambodia 25/09/09 - 29/09/09

Arrived into Cambodia via the slow boat from Vietnam, long, slow journey but killian enjoyed it, took loads of pictures and read some! Grand transfer then from wherever we were to phnom phen in a minibus. Another nights accommodation was included in the Mekong tour so we stayed in sinh tourist hotel, our plushist accommodation yet, class but a bit out of the way and trouble finding food that night so moved next day.

Sat morn we got up and got a tuk tuk out to toul sleung or S21 prison and the killing fields, quite a somber morning but insightful all the same (had us having a heated discussion a couple of days later in siem reap!) The prison was where they tortured non-Khmer Rouge revolutionists and the fields was where they took them to brutally kill them, over 2 million died. Both places well worth the visit- eye opening.

Sunday we got a bus to Siem reap, 6hr journey. Got a tuk tuk from bus to Popular hotel - $3 each per night! Arranged for him to collect us next morning to go to Angkor. That evening we just grabbed some grub
Mekong DeltaMekong DeltaMekong Delta

Reading in the rain, lazy day on a boat
on pub street and had our heated discussion about war, capitalism and communism, it ended amicably thankfully!

Mon was our temple day, we just got a one day pass and visited Angkor wat, Bayon and Ta Phom. Class day, they really are amazing. Angkor was by far the most spectacular with a massive moat around it and big stone building with engravings telling stories on the east, west, north and south walls, very impressive. Next was Bayon, in a far worse state but still pretty class, this place has loads of faces in stone, bit strange. Last but not least was Ta Phrom where they filmed Tomb Raider. Twas class, really dilapidated with roots of big trees holding it together in places, unfortunately our camera battery died before we got a snap here. That night we got some more tasty grub for next to nothing and wanderd on to the night market, nice spot with lots of stalls and a cinema where we watched a film on Pol Pot - brain washed! Also got a foot massage from a million tiny cleaner fish! Baby soft feet. On to Vientienne in Laos tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Phnom Phem S21Phnom Phem S21
Phnom Phem S21

Somre moment in S21 prison
Ankor CityAnkor City
Ankor City

Unbelievable civilization
AnkorAnkor
Ankor

Bayon in Ankor


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb