Kratie


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » East » Kratié
March 9th 2006
Published: March 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A day of travelling took us North East to Kompong Cham via Sukon famous for its tasty Tarantulas. Sara, who had been bragging about her intention to try one, chickened out and didn't even go for a peeled frog. I gallantly decided not to show her up by refraining also. From Kompong Cham we hoped to get a boat to the town of Kratie. Unfortunately it turns out that the boat doesn't run any more so the next day we continued the rest of the way by bus. Kratie is probably most famous for being one of the last hideouts of irrawaddy ( or flat-nosed ) freshwater dolphins. They live in a very localised deep bit of the Mekong here and are very easy to see by boat or even from the shore. They look pretty strange with their round heads and big smirks but they're pretty hard to photograph so you'll have to look them up if you want to see what I mean. We spent a pleasant couple of days here, sitting by the river and taking in some of the bits of scenic rural life just North of the town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sara's driver demonstrates his best stuntSara's driver demonstrates his best stunt
Sara's driver demonstrates his best stunt

He's from the moto division of 'Seeing Hands'


Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb