5 Most Incredible Festivals of Myanmar


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
September 8th 2017
Published: September 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

For many festive spirits, Myanmar is a country that cannot be missed with numerous interesting and colorful festivals held around the year. Many traditional activities and performances will take place during the carnivals bringing the liveliest atmosphere. Then what is more wonderful than to coincide your trip with one of these incredible festivals. Myanmar Tour Packages is proud to present the tailor made expeditions to this magical land.

1. Ananda Pagoda Festival

Anada temple is one of the finest and largest Buddhist building in over 2000 holy constructions of Bagan. It is believed that the temple represents for the endless wisdom of the Buddha which people hold a month festival to celebrate every year. Each temple in this ancient city bears its own story which can surprise any visitors, let's discover them with our amazing Bagan tours.

The Ananda pagoda festival usually falls on January of the lunar year drawing thousands of devotees and foreigners from all over the world come to observe. Tourists will have a chance to enjoy the busiest atmosphere of the festival on the full moon day with plenty of entertainments, activities and traditional food stalls.

2. Thingyan Water Festival

Thingsyan water festival is also known as Burmese New Year festival usually happening on mid – April. It is one of the biggest national festival which lasts for 4 to 5 days. People in every corner of the country will throw water on each other in order to wash away the old things of the previous year.

In some big cities like Yangon or Mandalay, there will be live performances taken place in a giant stage adding more exciting to the people. If you travel to Myanmar during this festival, then prepare to get wet.

3. Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda Festival

The biggest festival of Inle lake – Phaung Daw Oo pagoda festival is held over 18 days between September and October according to Burmese lunar calendar.

During the festival, the barge move along by the one leg rowing technique to transport 5 gilded Buddha images through all the villages of Inle Lake. Whenever the barge arrives, a big celebration is thrown to welcome it accompanied with many interesting activities such as martial art displays, traditional performances and a lot of food options.

4. Thadingyut Festival of Lights

The second most popular festival, just after the New Year water throwing festival of Burma is Thadingyut. It is held at the end of the Buddhist lent or Vassa which lasts for 3 days: one day before the full moon, the full moon day and the following day after.

In the time the festival takes place, tourists will be treated with a feast of lights of thousands paper lanterns and oil lamps because it is believed that the lights are to welcome the return of the Buddha from the heaven.

5. Taunggyi Balloon Festival

To the north of Inle Lake is Taunggyi town which is famous for the balloon festival on November of Burmese lunar year. The Taunggyi festival is said to have been existed before the emergence of Buddhism but until the 19th century, balloons were added in the festival by the British.

Nowadays, there are day and night balloon competitions during the festival with all kind of shapes and sizes creating a very spectacular scene, especially at night when the balloon are covered in candles and fireworks. Furthermore, the festival also includes numerous activities, food and souvenir vendors.

>> Read more: 5 Must Visit Places in Myanmar


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb