And now to Myanmar (Burma)


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
November 12th 2016
Published: November 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Wed 9 Nov - Left Kunming early - still raining but by the time we passed Dali it was sunny, and the good weather continued. Drove through a valley where a branch of the Mekong River tumbled. Followed the G56 through lush countryside, high bridges and numerous tunnels. Last bushcamp in a derelict service station on a very busy road so not much sleep.



Thurs 10 Nov. To Muse in Myanmar

To another border. Held up at a police checkpoint where they checked our passports twice - none of the police looked over 18. Anyway the hour delay meant we arrived at the border at the start of their 3 hour lunchtime. Strange border crossing - it is a town of two halves. You have Ruili in China with paved roads and lots of shops. Once you go through the border checks (passports and departure card only - no baggage checks) you walk across a courtyard and through the Myanmar border control and into what can only be described as bedlam. Unmade streets chocker block with cars, mopeds, lorries and people and awful pollution. Mayhem everywhere. It seems unbelievable that this is the same town no more than 50 metres from the Chinese side.



Fri 11 Nov. Muse to Lashio

The day started badly when we tried to change money at the bank opposite the hotel - it is only a business bank so we had to catch a 'taxi' to a bank 2k up the road. The taxi was a motorbike with covered seating behind which 8 of us piled into (plus our guide with the driver). To say it struggled up the hill was an understatement. However the trip to Lashio was breathtaking. The scenery was amazing and everyone was waving to us as we drove through. The road was mostly unmade and very twisty so the 160k took us all day and we arrived at about 6pm. We found a local restaurant which served a buffet and rice - with a can of sprite it cost us about $3 each.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb