Dali Old Town


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Dali
November 10th 2016
Published: November 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Dali is a real tourist area - absolutely heaving with coaches and Chinese tourists. We were is a nice hostel quite near the old city, but far enough away to avoid the real hustle and bustle. Day one was spent just exploring the area, and I walked to the 3 Pagodas and then on some of the old city wall.

Sat 5 Nov

6 of us took tour from Dali which went around Erhai Lake (Ear shaped lake). Visited ZhouCheng and saw the women making Batik fabric dyed with Indigo. Very interesting. Bought some later at a market. We also went to two local markets and saw some amazing scenery. We saw lots of fishermen but didn't see the Cormorant Fishing which is typical of this area - you may remember seeing them on the HSBC advert. The guide had limited English vocabulary (photo, photo - marky market - walky walky) but was really good and took us to some fascinating places.

Sun 6 Nov - Kunming for 3 days

Went to the Myanmar Embassy to apply for our visas on the Monday. After that went around the shopping area in search of t-shirts, however they now have their winter gear in stock! On Tuesday went out to the Green Park Lake and then on to the Bird and Flower Market. Also found a neglected temple and 2 pagodas swathed in green netting and scaffolding. Went to a coffee shop to say farewell to Vicky and Roberto who are finishing here. Pouring with rain so got soaked!

Wed 9 Nov - Left Kunming early - still raining but by the time we passed Dali it was sunny, and the good weather continued. Drove through a valley where a branch of the Mekong River tumbled. Followed the G56 through lush countryside, high bridges and numerous tunnels. Last bushcamp in a derelict service station on a very busy road so not much sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb