Ancient Kingdoms


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
February 11th 2015
Published: February 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yangon Yangon Yangon

Sewer & street construction all done by hand.
Walked around the main center of the city where government buildings are located. Independence Hall, Sule Pagoda -- many buildings are from the colonial era under British rule. Scott Market where locals hang out and to the much revered Chaukhtatgyi Pagoda, the huge reclining Buddha which is 236 feet long. For us, the most interesting part of the day was our visit to Dala Village. This is where the common people live (about 100,000) and is across the river from Yangon.

To get to Dala we took the ferry boat across the river, interacting with the locals, especially the children who were selling bags of food for the sea gulls following the ferry and caught the pellets in mid-air. Once in Dala we took a tri-shaw ride (bike) through various parts of the village. Locals were gathering their water from the fresh water pond (totally dirty water with algae growing). They open the gates of the pond from 4:30 - 5:00 each day for villagers to dip in their buckets, carry it back to their abode and use it as drinking water. They do not boil it or otherwise treat the water. There are 10 gallons per bucket so extremely
Dala VillageDala VillageDala Village

Tri Shaw ride. My guide has 2 sons & drives the tri-shaw from early morning to late in the day.
heavy.

We also stopped at a home and then to a candle making business before returning by ferry. Some of Dala's residents earn their money as vendors in Yangon and others, live off the land or operate a small business within the village. The houses were extremely tiny (one small room for the family) and usually made of bamboo. A few have TV's. After the cyclone hit several years ago people who lived through it had to be relocated to this area. Presently, about 23% have electricity and there are some paved paths and roads the government has been putting in for the village.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

DalaDala
Dala

Children waved from their houses as we rode by.
Water collection.Water collection.
Water collection.

Fresh water has to be regulated to have enough. The pond is opened from 4:30 - 5:00 daily, no longer. 2 water buckets for each family are dipped into the pond and carried back to house. This water is their drinking water & not boiled.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

From ferry boat crossing the Rangoon River from Dala back to Rangoon.
Good-byeGood-bye
Good-bye

These children were drawn to us and called us mother & father wanting to hold our hands. We are saying good-bye. They were on the ferry selling food to throw to the sea gulls.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb