Rangoon Moon


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
November 11th 2013
Published: November 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Don Muang Airport, Bangkok is the second airport in Bangkok. It's an early morning Skytrain to Mo Chit and a taxi to Don Muang in plenty of time to have a leisurely breakfast before boarding our Air Asia flight to Yangon (formerly Rangoon). Immigration is slow, I think they must be use trainees on Sundays, but we clear immigration without a hitch. The money changers are open at the airport and Malcolm and I both change $100 US into Myanmar Kyets (pronounced Chets). I certainly wasn't ready for the wad of money that I received, it's a bit like post war Germany where you needed a wheelbarrow to take the money away. Then it's a taxi to our hotel, “The Windsor”. First impressions are that it is a little bit tired, but we have twin beds and a decent shower, so what more do we need.



It's November 10, 2013 and we are in Yangon, Myanmar.



The major attraction in Yangon is the Shwedagon Paya and the best time to see it is at sunset. It's worth the entry fee of 8500 Kyet (8.50 US approx). We take off our shoes and ascend the escalators to the shrine. And I must say, this monument is stunning, it is purported to have been built in 600BC and the complex covers over 12 acres. Supposedly, it is where Aung San Suu Kyi comes to pray. She also addressed large crowds here in the late 1980's on the long and winding road to democracy (not reached yet).We wonder whether she is one of the Burmese that we pass on our way around the Stupa. I sit next to man who tells me he was a sergeant in army intelligence,of course I tell him how impressed I am with Myanmar and it's people. As we make our way around the complex and through the throngs of people we are approached by a Buddhist Monk who speaks very good English. He takes us under his wing and imparts a little knowledge about the Stupa. According to our new friend, it is covered by plates of gold weighing over a ton, and supposedly the very top contains over 4000 diamonds with a single diamond of 18 carats on top. Too much information to take it all in, we finally thank our new friend and make for the exit. After a couple of beers and chicken wings it's time for bed!



The following morning, we're up early and after our hotel breakfast of fried rice and cauliflower with egg, we take a taxi into the city to do a self guided walking tour. The central city is dotted with buildings from British colonial past. Unfortunately, these buildings are in various states of decay. Street food is all over the place, one wok contains fried grasshopper and believe me, I'm tempted, but decide against. We smile a lot, and take the time to talk to the Myanmar people whenever possible. Occasionally we do get engaged in conversation. The people are small in stature, smaller than the Thai's and where Bangkok is a modern city, the girls dress in western fashions, Myanmar is the exact opposite with its citizans dressing in traditional garb. I tower over them and this is really exaggerated when we have lunch in a little cafe where the table and chairs are 2/3 the size of normal furniture. Our bill is also small, US $3.70 for the two of us and only so high because we had four 50cent cokes....



A couple of classic writers wrote of Burma. George Orwell wrote Burmese Days, a novel about the waning days of British Colonialism, the darker side of the British Raj. A tale of two classes. And then, Rudyard Kipling, wrote a poem “Mandalay” after spending only three days in the country.



Next, more Yangon and then on to Bagan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



11th November 2013

the oldest they are the less happy they are to see you. Even you cut your hair and wear orange clothes you are to tall and to much smiling to look like a bonze
11th November 2013

We have contact !!!
Great blogs to give me an insight into Myanmar. Keep them coming. Mallie looks quite young in the photos - the tropics suit him - will probably get his fat off. I am off to Fiji today. Robin
11th November 2013

Trippin'
Mate, sounds like you're having a great time! In some ways, I envy you guys; new culture, interesting places and people.... great fun. I'm stuck in draught ridden Queensland, one days rain since we moved in - 8th August. Same story though, wherever I am, the weather is good (with the possible exception of your own lovely country, where we did see rain!), but the stress is on at the moment. Sound system and new security system in and working. Pool in , concrete and 'coping' tomorrow.(dry, yellow grass in the back is just about still recognizable as grass and not straw!) Electrician back every couple of days for work connected to the pool or the inside of the house, or the set-up for the solar (20 panels going up (5kw) next week), so all is chaos and I'm probably spending more each day than if I were away! Anyway, have a great time - keep me 'blogged'. xx
11th November 2013

Intrepid travellers, yo! The photos and write up conjure an impression you are treading where no tourist has ventured! It's fascinating and I can't wait for the next installment

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb