Yangon Myanmar - June 30- July 4


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
July 8th 2013
Published: July 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

At 1 am on June 30th, we took off from Hong Kong to start our trek to Yangon Myanmar formerly known as Rangoon Burma. We went from HK to Kaula Laumpur and then on to Yangon.

We landed Sunday am and went straight to our hotel called the Governor's Residence. This is a beautiful hotel which is very small there is about 40 guest rooms and they cater to your every need.

Sunday was pure relaxation,we ordered a huge lunch at the hotel restaurant , chilled in the room had a spa treatment and plotted our time for Monday. On Monday, we walked from the hotel to Shwedagon Pagoda, this is the Pagoda to see, it is a 20 minute walk from our hotel unless you take the " short cut" through the People's Park like Wing and I decided to do and came across construction in the park, we go turned around, ended up back tracking out to find out we were about 10 yards from the exit- LOL. The Shwedagon Pagoda is gleaming in gold and decorated with diamonds- it has 4 entrances ( North , East, West and South). It is AMAZING. The pictures cannot do this pagoda justice, it is was such an overwhelming experience being there and seeing it. To enter the pagoda , you need to remove your socks and shoes and walk barefoot, bizarre experience going up an escalator barefoot and walking along the tile. Especially when this whole pagoda is tiled floor and we had a huge downpour of rain,let's just say it was interesting walking around and staying up straight after the rain.. 😊 We then headed to China Town and viewed a few of the Chinese temples. Walked around the local Chinese market and Wing purchased some fruit ( lychee)..

Tuesday was the Chef's market tour where we ended up back in the China town area. It was interesting seeing and experiencing the local market - we then headed back to the hotel for our cooking class which was more like a preparation. The chef had everything chopped and prepared so it was more of mixing or wrapping the items up. It was a fun experience.

We decided to branch out for dinner and went to eat at a local restaurant - Monsoon the food was good but not up to the amazing food we had experienced at the hotel.

Wednesday - I was not feeling up to more touring so I chilled in the sun and by the pool. Wing braved heading out and viewing additional pagoda's and Scott Market which sells everything from fruits and vegetables to silks and woodcarvings.

The country is very beautiful, the people are very friendly and welcoming. On Thursday we were up in the am and off to the airport to start the second part of our trip in Cambodia...



I will post the Cambodia experience on a different blog entry.



Sue


Additional photos below
Photos: 147, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb