Shwedagon Paya


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
May 25th 2009
Published: June 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

When I hear the name Shwedagon Paya I think of a massive temple with lavish decor. Large diamonds (the biggest one is the size of my fist) and rubies crown the tip of the really high gold pagoda. Many people come to pray, pay respect to the Buddha or just to get away from the stress in their lives. There are many monks who relax and meditate. Even some monks can't resist taking pictures of the grand display of gold leafed pagodas and buddhas. We went to the Paya (temple) twice, once in the afternoon and again at night to see how the sights changed from day to night. It rained that day and we were glad because we can't imagine walking on what would have been very toasty tiles. At night the paya does not slow down, many come to pray and walk with their families for an evening stroll. With the evening breeze, the glow of the gold pagodas and stupas, people praying and hearing the chanting of the Buddhist Mantra the atmosphere was nostalgic. It was a really peaceful, cool, and beautiful place.

Near the end of our visit a man casually came by and started a
Shwedagon PayaShwedagon PayaShwedagon Paya

Outside the East entrance
conversation and offered to show us around. We cut to the chase and asked him how much it was going to cost for taking us around because he was not the first man who came up to us. The man explained he was a retired history professor and he came to the Paya every night to enjoy an evening walk, so only a donation amount of our choice would suffice. He showed us the spots where the diamonds change colour as light passes through them (you have to move your body from side to side or up and back to see this). It was really cool to see the diamonds shine the colours of the rainbow. With out his help we would have been completely oblivious. He seemed to be full of knowledge about the paintings and the history. The tour was definitely worth it because the temples, paintings, bells and statues began to have stories behind them making the visit that much more rewarding. From experiences like this we have gained a better understanding of the Buddhist religion and how burmese people live.

Walking around the streets of Yangon in the first few days realizing how little people have of their own and how hard residents work for what they have creates mixed feelings when seeing how much money is donated to building the temples. Although the decor is excessive it is a really peaceful place to walk around and experience the people of all ages as young as 3 year olds paying respect to Buddhism. The pictures hardly do it justice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Shwedigan PayaShwedigan Paya
Shwedigan Paya

Kids playing under the bell.
Shwedigan PayaShwedigan Paya
Shwedigan Paya

detailed wood work


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb