Coronation Day!


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan » Punakha
November 1st 2012
Published: July 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 1stNovember



This morning we travelled to the end of the valley and hiked up to Khamsum Yulley Nmagyel Chorten.<span> The views are spectacular and, and we met a couple of the local senior ladies of the Chorten<span> who are very keen to feed us our fill of Guava from their trees.

We’ll travel back there tomorrow to a small school so that we can drop off all the toothbrushes we have for the local kidlets.<span> It was a public holiday today to celebrate coronation day so of course the school is closed.

Shane says:<span> Palden was asking a few cheeky kids about school tomorrow, so we could give them the toothbrushes we brought along. One little smart arse replied “schools on but I wont be there, ahahha”. Typical smart alecs are the same the world over.

Its also a celebration day for Sharl’s 40th<span> - the ninth 40th she has had. Lol

Sharls says: Yeah, hilarious Druk!<span> Its true – smart arses are the same the world over !

After lunch we visited the Punakha Dzong, which formally served as the seat of the government and is still the winter residence of the Dratsberg ( Central Monk Body).<span> It is the most spectacular Dzong we have seen so far!<span> Its such a shame that the inside of the temple cant be photographed because words really cant explain how beautifully intricate the carvings, artworks and frescos are.

Back to the hotel for a shower and drinks with Paldan and Tsering.<span> They have surprised me and given me 2 wooden wine cups for my birthday!!<span> So very thoughtful.<span> In fact it was my only birthday present.<span> No surprises for me otherwise. In fact it’s really no surprise that there was no other surprise <span> LOL

Shane says:<span> A holiday in the Himalayas is not a birthday present????

Sharls says: A birthday present is something you get to have to yourself, so I guess not cos you’re here with me LOL <span> <span> As I recall your birthday was in August!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb