Sweatshops


Advertisement
Bangladesh's flag
Asia » Bangladesh
April 30th 2014
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

A very popular company the has been using sweatshops is Walmart. The main sweatshop has been located in Bangladesh. It has been reported that the sweatshops' workers' wages are $20 a month and the minimum wage in the country is $24 a month. This amount is less than one dollar a day, and they have to work 19 hour shifts. Walmart has been accused for buying uniforms that were made in these sweatshops. Sometimes Walmart representatives would go and check out the conditions of the factories but the workers claim that when they do, everything changes. Managers of the factories prepare or make things look better inside the factories and they threaten to fire the workers if they tell the truth during the search. It has also been discovered the about 200 children have been working in sweatshops of Bangladesh. They worked 12-14 hours a day and earned 6 and 1/2 cents an hour. What can be done to create this company's products without cheap labor is improving the environment or conditions of the factories. There should be rules or laws that protect the workers' right and health. For example, children should not be allowed to work, and the workers should work for less than 12 hours a day. Also, the minimum wage should be higher and companies should not pay less than that.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb