Yosemite, Death Valley and Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Antarctica
April 11th 2012
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

To quote Emily: "I dont think tonight will be too cold!". Well it was freezing! Woke up at 7 shivering an couldn't put my clothes on coz they were so cold, and could see your own breath! So yeh not the beat nights sleep, but tbh that was what I wanted so Vegas will be even more luxurious! Haha that backfired.....



So got up and drove into Yosemite and chose the Yosemite falls hike as our trek for the day. It is suggested that it takes 6-8 hours, but we were feeling ambitious so decided to try and conquer it in only the 4 hours we had! Had to drag Emily up most of the way, and overtook shloads of other people, incredibly inappropriately dressed! Some were wearing v neck sweaters jeans and sailing shoes for a 4 mile hike up 3000 feet in sun and snow, and then back down! Even tho there was snow it was boiling. Also tripped up on the way down when I said hi to someone walking up, was pretty embarrassing! On the way down we could hear something crashing down through the trees - a boulder attack! It was like being in a pinball machine. Em dodged it by about a meter sadly surviving. View from the top was amazing and the falls itself were cool, there were also really tall trees covered in moss at the top Whiich was awesome.



Then we set off for the 8 hour drive to death valley, going thru the rest of Yosemite, where the trees roads and rocks were alll humongous, I felt like I was driving a micro machine. To top that we saw a train with like 60 carriages so decided America is too big! Got near/into death valley and had about 2 hours without seeing any sign of life! And about 3 cars in 5 hours! Kept going and found a little village where we have parked in a campground and are gonna sleep in the car! I drive all he way so an pretty shattered, but was a surreal drive.



Next day



Woke up on the desert this morning! Got up early in the morning coz the sun was up and we dint have blind in our car. Then set off for grand canyon! On the way we stopped off at the sand dunes and did the standard jump photo, then went to the lowest dry point on earth (maybe) so we were driving at -190 feet below sea level! Felt like we were in the wild west with places called stovepipe wells and furnace creek! Had an 8 hour drive to grand canyon which was hard after the lack of sleep and long drive the day before but managed and again staying in the car tonight! Also stopped off at the hoover dam which was awesome, was huuuge! Me and em had an argument as to whether you would die if you jumped off, she thinks you wouldnt......... Asked her to give it a try. Went to some viewpoints at canyon and managed to be at the best one for sunset which was incredible over the canyon!



Next day



Didn't sleep particularly well in the end firstly coz it was in the car but also coz em had got drunk off one glass off wine and was hyper and chatting shit for an hour! But we got some food and set off for another hike! This one was 6 mile round trip down 2000 feet into the canyon then back up again! It was incredible, the lines in rock of the canyon meant that the sand changed colous loads, and walked outto skeleton point which stuck out into the canyon, then hiked back up and sweated a lot! Our shoes turned orange as well as our legs! But that was good exercise after all our pigging out in the car. Then we set off for a 4 hour drive to Vegas!



Love The Inspector

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb