Riding around Shakespeare country


Advertisement
Antarctica » Temp
September 29th 2008
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 108

After missing two trains, we finally arrived in Stratford upon Avon the home of William Shakespeare.
We'd arranged bike hire for the day, which we waiting for us at the station. We set off in the brilliant sunshine for the Shakespeares Birthplace. We parked our bikes and wandered the cobblestone street amidst the old buildings to Shakespeare birthplace set in the centre of town. An introduction into Shakespeares family, his affluent and influential father and his 8 brothers and sisters and their home which doubled as a John Shakespeares (a glover or glovemakers) workshop set in beautiful gardens. After a brief but packed tour of the house, including the birthroom of Shakespeare (signed by masses of other famous writers, actors and parliamentarians) we were back on the road.

From here we headed out of town along the canel to Mary Ardens Farm (Shakespeare's mother) located 5km north of Stratford.(Although Shakespeare himself never lived here). It consised of two houses and typical farm including a horse powered cider mill, dovecote, stable, great barn, beautiful gardens and fruit orchad. We headed out to the gardens to watch the poor falconer lose his bird, apparently or hopefully stuck in a thermal, 30 minutes it later is was still no where to be seen leaving the falconer to amuse his small crowd without his main act.

Next stop was Anne Hathaways Cottege (Shakespeares wife) by far the most beautiful with its thatched roof, manicured gardens and traditional furniture. Following a short tour, explaining the home and it's furnitures history including the importance of the term 'Board' orginating from a wooden board used to form a table but doubled as a bed for some one staying the night giving way to the term "board" hence its ongoing relevance today 'above board', 'chairman of the board', 'board room', 'Bed and Board' etc all based on a plank of wood (well we were impressed).Then back on the bikes again heading into town.

We arrived at Hall's Croft just before lock out (5pm). Halls Croft was owned by Dr. John Hall, who married Shakespeares eldest daughter Suzanna, giving some insight into primative medical practices and some interesting instruments used during this time.

Finally we rode back to whats known as Nash's House and New Place Shakespeares home during his last eighteen years of his life (which was pulled down during the 18th century and only the garden and fireplace remain of the orginal building) . Nash's house was owned by Thomas Nash who married Shakespeares grandaughter Elizabeth Hall, whilst Elizabeths parents Suzanna and Dr Hall resided at New Place following their marriage. Unfortunately by the time we got there it was closed.


We cruised past the Shakespeare theatre (unfortunately we didn't have time to catch a show) and the river frontage before dropping our bikes off and jumping back on the train to Birmingham.

Whilst it can only be described as a massive "tourist" catch given anyone distantly associated with Shakespeare is soon linked into the Shakespeare ring. Nonetheless, it was a great insight into the great man himself, and has ensured preservation of the beautiful buildings and lifestyle of the 16th century.
And opportunity to reflect on all the Shakespeare we'd struggled to study (and understand) at school, and oddly still do.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb