Cadbury's Factory and Warwick Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire » Warwick
September 25th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 100
Having resided in Birmingham for nearly two weeks we were well and truly overdue to visit the Cadburys factory. A short train trip out to Bournville aka "Cadburyville" we arrived, following the purple signs and the unmistakable smell of cholocate to the massive factory. Through the gate with our discount ticket, we were immediately loaded up with a showbag of cholocate goodies. First stop was 'Cadabra' the story of how Cadbury's Dairy Milk Chocolate came to be and a shot of warm melted chocolate with your choice of lollie/mashmellow/biscuit mixer. Wow!!Then through the jungle and Cadbury story (how chocolate was made an a non-alcoholic alternative?!), Making chocolate presentation (How a cocoa bean turns to chocolate), packaging plant (pumping out some crazy amount of boxes per minute), manufacturing plant (Where chocolate turns into a crunchie!), demonstration area (Carly couldn't resist writting my name in liquid chocolate with the other 5 year olds) and the World biggest Cadbury shop, despite our utmost control we couldn't possibly leave without a 1kb block and a handfull of other choccies.
We left feeling slightly ill and grateful for the walk from the train station.

Unfortunately we forgot the camera!

Day 101
A short 30 minute train trip from Birmingham we arrived in Warwick the home of Warwick Castle. The first castle to appear on this site was constructed in 1068, however under the successive Earls of Warwick it was rebuilt in stone by the 14th century. The castle attacked in 1264, beseiged in 1642 and damaged by fire in 1872 hence it has an amazing history. We arrived just in time for the Trebutchet show (and during their Summer festival with a full days program of shows) and its firing by a traditionally dressed enthusiastic chap who looked like he's stepped straight from the 14th century himself.
The Falconry show named 'Birds of Prey' was awesome display of eagles, hawks and huge vulture who had distinct difficulty flying and despite the falconers warnings to duck he nearly took a few heads with him on his landing ! Next was the eagerly awaited Traditional Jousting display and once we'd found a reasonable vantage point, it didn't disappoint.
On returning back to the castle itself we stumbled across the Warriors of Warwick a colourful display of medieval knights at battle, using a range of weaponry.
Ghost Alive was a surprising scary short skit revealing some of the murderous history of the castle.

We toured through each of the rooms of the castle including state rooms, the chapel, dungon, dining room, the great hall, the red, cedar and green drawing rooms, Queen Annes bedroom, the Library, Music Room, the Smoking room, the ladies boudoir and the Kenilworth Bedroom (for the Price of Wales later King Henry VII a frequent visitor of the castle). And wandered around the luxurous grounds, conservatory, peacock garden, the Mill and the Engine House, admidst a rare day of beautiful of sunshine.
Finally we climbed Guys Tower 39metres and 5 stories high giving us a spectacular view of the surrounding countryside before heading home for another week of work.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb