Finally made it!!


Advertisement
Antarctica » Temp
November 26th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Yes!!  Yes!!  Yes!!

Ready to rumble with the Dash 7 in the background
Well guys, i have finally made it to the glorious sights and sounds of Antarctica yet again. After our initial delays stretching out over a week at home and then a week in Punta Arenas in Chile, the weather was good, the plane was fixed and ready to fly and our bags were packed and on board. Actually, our bags were packed on board about 3 days before we flew so there were a few really stinky people on that plane who hadnt changed, myself included!!

The flight in was fantastic, flying over Cape horn and along the Antarctic Peninsular until we reached Adelaide Island and my home for the next 4 months, Rothera base. The cloud cover was actually really low for the flight in so we couldnt actually see all the sea ice yet the peaks of all the mountain ranges were sticking out above this blanket of cloud and it was absolutely stunning. We were met on land by the summer base commander and then had to sit through all the standard briefings you expect from a base like this, especially considering this base is effectively an airport.

Anyway, briefings over and it was time for
Cold PeaksCold PeaksCold Peaks

The Antarctic Peninsular under a blanket of cloud
work. First job, digging out over 3 metres of snow/6 inches of ice in places to reach all of our equiptment which we need to set up the work sight. A job which most definately makes your body realise youve been doing nothing for a few weeks (months in my case)

Also, the weather has been great for the first few days with glorious sunshine. Some of you may think its cold here, well it is but only about -2 to +1 at the mo and the sunshine is leathal. The rays bouncing back from the snow have managed to completely frazzle my neck and arms so i am now suffering for that and smothering my whole body in factor 35! (due to working only in trousers and t-shirts) ahh, life is good, oh yeah, i go snowboarding every night on the glacier across the way from the runway as well which is good, gee life is tough out here in the wilds of Antarctica!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Coming in for landingComing in for landing
Coming in for landing

Sea ice surrounding the base


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 11; qc: 94; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb