Enterprise Island


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica
February 19th 2016
Published: March 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Early start this morning for our zodiac landing on Antarctic proper - Portal Point. It was named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place Names Committee in 1960 because the point is the "gateway" of the route. It was a very tranquil landscape with Weddell and Grey seals who weren't too happy to see us. We also saw some Gentoo and Chinstrap penguins but they were a long way away. We came back to a very warming lentil soup for lunch.

In the afternoon the weather had improved slightly ( it wasn't snowing) . We sailed to Enterprise Island which lies at the northeast end of Nansen Island in Wilhelmina Bay. These islands were first charted as one feature and named the Nansen by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition under Adrian de Gerlache in 1898. The islands became well known to whalers operating in the area in the early 1900s. There was zodiac cruising in the afternoon but as it was snowing and I was feeling fluey we gave it a miss.

Later we sailed for Wilhelmina Bay for some whale watching. We saw a mother and calf "spy hopping" looking out of the water. We took a photo of a seal as it drifted past our balcony on a piece of ice. It snowed all afternoon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb