It’s farewell to Antarctic land…and waters!


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica
January 9th 2023
Published: January 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Another cheery wake up all, another cabin full of whinging. Since camping last night was cancelled, we had a revised program today and had navigated towards Deception Island overnight, passing through the ‘Bellows’ just after breakfast. We entered the flooded caldera in blistering winds through a narrow opening surrounded by the towering sides of the volcano.

We pulled in to Whaler’s Bay for our final operation of the trip - a planned short hike to Neptune’s Window where we could see the sea beyond the protected confines of the caldera. We started along the beach, accompanied by a pair of Chinstrap Penguins who seemed intent on joining our red-clad tribe, but not entirely sure why or what they had signed up for. Nevertheless, they waddled along with us, occasionally stopping to ponder our presence and consult with each other over their strange beach-fellows.

We finally outpaced them to reach the end of the beach before we began our ascent, and noticed a seal basking in the relative warmth of the beach - a leopard seal no less! We were the first to come across him, but he seemed less than interested in our attention, his face plastered with a content grin and an inside-out penguin a few metres up the beach.

A short ascent to Neptune’s Window where he had apparently conspired with his air-based colleague to restrict our time at the top…and plus, the leopard seal beckoned. So back down we headed for some more time hanging with the prehistoric looking beast, while he rolled around and showed us what he’d used on the penguin.

Back along the beach and some more black and white chaperone dudes to accompany us before we came to the remains of the old whaling station. Katie filled us in on the history of the place and we collected and examined volcanic rocks - Beeb’s paradise!

Back on the zodiacs, not before we’d checked the thermal activity of the sand - hot! - and some well-deserved lunch. A much-needed (and by now obligatory) post-lunch nap before we were awoken with the news that we had anchored for the polar plunge in Telephone Bay.

Panic and anxiety ensued in our cabin but we corralled them into the mud room and lined up ‘to take the plunge’ along with most of the rest of the passengers! Much excitement and we were belted up and off we went - successfully achieved by everyone, followed by a shot of terrible Norwegian whiskey for us and a hot chocolate for the girls. At least it means Beeb has had some kind of wash this week!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb