Africa Serengeti to malawi


Advertisement
Africa
December 22nd 2015
Published: December 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Okay where to start...... Firstly I'd like to apologise for Robs history lesson!! Lol Karen blixen museum was interesting but more so for the fact she helped to raise employment for 200 workers and gave them land. Bomas village was very interesting as they talked about the different tribes that still exist today in Africa. Many of them have many wives and the famous Masai tribe leader shares his wives with brothers and cousins!!! A man gets more wives the more cows he owns so if you relate that to western standards the more money a man has the more wives and mistresses he'll probably have to. I had to remind Robert he was not from an African tribe and so he can not have any more wives!! His response was one was bad enough!!! The cheek.

We met our tour guide Chris and 4 wonderfully interesting and independent women that had all decided to do this trip solo. Gael is from New Zealand, Michelle and Wendy Australia and sarah Canada. Me and Rob both thought it was an incredible thing to do. They're stories are intriguing. One of the Gael had climbed Kilimanjaro just the week before coming on the trip! It took her 7 days to complete and she did it entirely by herself with the help of the Sherpas. She did it as a birthday present to herself. You can only imagine the amount of self achievement she must feel now she's completed it. Utterly incredible.

Once we left Kenya we moved into Tanzania the trip was long!!! 14 hours of rocky roads in a huge truck in the heat!! Along with the many itchy ant bites we'd obtained we thought nothing could be worth it....until we got to the Serengeti. We saw so many beautiful and vicious animals in their natural habitat and got to the see the outline of the great migration. Lions, leopards, elephant's, giraffes, hyenas, buffalos. Our guide told us that we had been extremely lucky to see all the animals in our first safari. We also camped out in the Serengeti.I don't think we really saw the danger in it until I saw a Hyaena standing next to the tent roaming around. I thought it was so beautiful to see, but Rob was not so impressed. Our guide told us to continually shine our lights in the dark if needing to go to the bathroom. If we saw red eyes it was a big cat or bright yellow that it would be a  hyaena. I've never saw Rob look so scared at the thought!! Hehe. He made me walk to the bathroom with him and keep an eye on the door at all times. As we were leaving the bathroom I told him to look at the amazing stars in the sky and the lightening in the clouds. I went to hug him and he jumped about 2 metres!! (It's nice to know I'm safe.... Rob would definitely run and leave me to a lion!). We slept two nights in the Serengeti, it was mind blowing seeing the skies at night. I will never forget us all just staring up at them for so long in silence it was surreal. My favourite animal to see had to be the elephants. They're so elegant for such big creatures, I just find them so unique in the way they look, they are so I beautiful.

Once we moved on from the Serengeti we took another very long trip to Zanzibar. We spent one night in stone town and then two nights in a beautiful beach resort. Zanzibar was the slaving hub in its day, Arabs and Europeans would come and buy humans like they were cattle and would in fact treat them worse than cattle. Arabs would take them back to their respective countries after castrating the men so that they would die out after they had lost use for them. Europeans would ship many of them to Americas. It was in fact the Portuguese along with Arabs that started the idea of slavery. This shocked me because I always thought it had started as a British idea. Thankfully a wonderful man named David Livingstone helped to eradicate slavery as it was known in Zanzibar. He was just a wonderful human being who was selfless in his acts to save people and to remind others that slaves were human to. When he died he had his heart buried in Africa and his body sent back home to be buried in Britain.

On a lighter note Zanzibar is also known as the birth place of Freddie Mercury. It is also said that you shouldn't take a cat from Zanzibar as many people believe the cats you see there are not actually real but ghosts that belong to the island. Spooky!!

We also did an amazing spice tour whilst we were in Zanzibar!! I was so excited to see the many plants and trees that produce spices and collected so many of them that I definitely won't get through customs when trying to get into another country. We had a taster of some spiced teas and then went to someone's home to have a traditional meal sat on a carpet. So many wonderful experiences in such a short space of time I couldn't wish for anything more....until we got to Malawi!

Malawi is a very poor country and the people here almost independently rely on donations from other countries. With government corruption its quite clear to see many of the people don't see the benefits of this money. Still the people here are incredibly friendly. I've never waved at so many smiling children who run for the truck as they see us drive past their villages. The heart warming and humbling feeling is indescribable. How can people who have nothing be so beautifully kind, friendly and happy. They're is something so, so wrong in western culture and I actually feel these people should feel sorry for us instead of the other way round. They live content lives whilst we buy the newest iPad like we must have it! Some of these children have never seen they're own faces on a camera and they would be so grateful for a black and white TV .....if they had electricity in their homes to use it.

Throughout Africa so far we have been welcomed everywhere we go. People don't beg us or become pushy if you don't want to buy. They just ask you give them an ear to listen to what they're trying to sell. People just want to make an honest living for themselves. The amount of work they put in to their lands (including the children) is in comprehendible. They work the land by hand and they build they're homes with they're own hands. No big machines. They even mould the bricks if they're lucky enough to have that material, if not then its bark from trees that they use.

The peoples life expectancy in Malawi is 46 from what our guide tells us. This is down to Aids and malaria. That information in itself tells you how poor this country is.

When we arrived at our new campsite yesterday we went down to swim in the lake and were greeted by 10 beautiful children who played with us in the water. We made sandcastles and sang songs and the joy they brought was probably the most uplifting feeling I've ever had in my life. I'm crying whilst writing this because I have never experienced anything like it. The locals would come up to me and thank us for playing and laughing with the children. They said it helps the children to learn. I think it was only then that I really opened my eyes to how these children live. How beautifully hearted they are. I could finally reach out and hug those smiling, waving little faces. They didn't want a single thing from us. They played with my hair, gave me hugs and got to take pictures on Gaels camera. Something they'd never seen before never mind held. They took piggy back rides on our backs....mainly Sarah's ( she's taller and could walk them out into the lake further) I don't think any of us will forget how happy we all were for a very long time. Just so much love and sadness to know how poor these children are. Many of them only have one or two sets of clothes and if they get the opportunity to go to school they are squeezed into classes with up to another 120 students. It's a hard reality that's difficult to think about... Especially so close to Christmas.

On another note it has really made me think of my family and my nieces and nephews. I'm so grateful for them all. Just so thankful that the kids will always know and have the opportunity for education and sufficient food and clothes. Won't have to feel what hard work is at 6 years old and will live prosperous lives. I love and miss them all so very much. I wish they could have all been here with us to experience all of this with us.

Just want to do this little shout out to my wonderful family and friends. Its been difficult not having WiFi and my phone won't work to make calls. So hard not being able to speak to any of you.  I hope you all have an amazing Christmas. We are missing every single one of you and we'll be thinking of you all as you tuck in to your Turkey and cranberry!! (Really missing my mom and dads Sunday dinners right now) lol. We love you all to the stars and back. Have an extra drink for us!! Xxxxxxx.

P.s We will be uploading photos once the internet is strong enough. On one of the photos is an address to post unwanted clothes, text books, pens and pencils. To my nurse friends if any of you think your wards could spare some aprons or gloves or pretty much anything! It would be amazing! The conditions of the schools and hospital are very poor and they would honestly be grateful for anything that could be spared.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



22nd December 2015

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog. What a fantastic and humbling experience. It's a real eye opener hearing about the people and children you've met and we should all be thankful for what we have when they have so little. Missing you both so much and can't wait to see you in Sri Lanka. We too will miss you more at Xmas but we will all raise a glass or two for you. Love you loads keep the blogs coming xxxx
23rd December 2015

Christmas wishes
Thanks for your amazing update, I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. Glad you are both safe and well and enjoying yourselves. Hope you have a great Christmas. Di xx

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb